Haunted Bookshop And OJK: Tinned VS Bulk?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeremiah Johnson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 15, 2020
Westchester County, NY
Is there any discernable difference between the tinned and bulk versions of Haunted Bookshop and Old Joe Krantz aside from moisture level? I feel like I once read where someone claimed the bulk versions had a slightly lesser nic-hit, but not sure why that would be. Maybe I dreamt it.

charf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 10, 2018
New Zealand
I’m smoking some OJK bulk right now in a Sav 673. Damned good stuff. All my OJK has been bulk. I like HB too but is has all been from a tin. Supplies here are restricted so I haven’t had the opportunity to try them both ways. Rest assured though your on the good stuff ?

jei64822

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 13, 2020
Tinned will always be fresher, both in moisture and aromatic compounds, but nicotine levels shouldn't differ

Reactions: ofafeather

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
No idea on Haunted as I did not care for it but on OJK which I have and still smoke pounds of, there is no difference.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I believe tinned and bulk are out of the same bin, since it would not be cost effective to make two different batches. The tinned might benefit from being sealed up sooner, but that would depend on timing and pure chance. I like OJK original and many other C&D blends. I buy them in bulk mostly and find them good quality. C&D does for burley what McClelland did for Virginia leaf.

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
Typically tinned blends are going to be a bit fuller & richer in flavor. I’m more partial to Haunted Bookshop, but that is largely only because I’ve smoked much more of it. I’ve purchased both tin and pound bags of Bookshop and the flavor in fuller & richer from the tin. Also, I’ve found that buying bulk usually means the tobacco will be dryer than in the tin. But, that stands to reason. ☕

jeremyreeves

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2015
I believe tinned and bulk are out of the same bin, since it would not be cost effective to make two different batches. The tinned might benefit from being sealed up sooner, but that would depend on timing and pure chance.
Just want to chime in here that there is no difference in the tobaccos used or in the recipe, between tinned and bulk, or between tins of various sizes. We only have one blend recipe for a product, and that product can then go into whatever container our distribution stock needs it to. We have multiple packing stations and several people in packaging production, so blends that are needed in multiple facings, can be going into 2oz., 8oz, and Bulk at the same time. We recommend retailers as well as consumers, transfer bulk products to glass, ceramic or heavy plastic jars for storage. Tins are air-tight, will not leak moisture and we do recommend them for long-term storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.