PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipetrucker

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
Pipe smoking is wonderfully healthy and enjoyable. We live at least two years longer than the average. I would suggest drinking more. Preferably scotch, but any liquid will do, even *shudder* water. Smoke more, drink more.
Seriously, hydration is important whether you smoke or not.

mrivney

Lurker
Dec 29, 2010
Smoking fellars and gals:

OK, another time!

I've seen my dentist. My bridge looks fine, which I thought might be contributing to the issue. Note: the bridge was installed about a year ago, about the same time I got into smoking (cigars and pipes). The dentist says the salty taste could be due to a build up of sulfides. (Tobacco has sulfur!)

So he recommended an over the counter medicine called Breath Rx.

I bought Breath Rx at the local drugstore. The dentist says it used to be a prescription. Breath Rx is an anti-bacterial spray.

Basically, what I'm reading is that altered taste is a fact of life. It happens to us humans as we age and it can happen to those of us who smoke.

BTW, I did see one other product on the shelf. It's called evoraplus (made by Oragenics Inc.). It's touted as the "first probiotics for complete oral care". It was $20 for 60 probiotic mints. And the Breath Rx was $10 for two 8 ml spray bottles.

And, as someone else stated, Biotene is another tool.

Regards, MrIvney

capnbellamy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 25, 2011
Canterbury, England
Tea or coffee while I'm smoking rather than after tends to sort me out. Smoke can and will dry out your mouth very quickly, particularly if it's a hot smoke. A longer stem, or metal stem that will cool the smoke somewhat could help in the short term. Other than that, I think mrivney has the best ideas :P
Smoking alot/particularly thick smoke like that from a pipe will deaden your tongue and alter/deaden the reactions of your tastebuds as well. Liquids or anything that's a change of flavour and will hydrate your mouth is good. Also try smoking a different blend. Certain blends and flavours will have a greater impact. This whiskey stuff I'm on right now is drying my tongue like hell, but other blends (for me, sweeter ones) don't have the same effect.

mrivney

Lurker
Dec 29, 2010
Sorry, but I have to take back my words and continue on since I need your (my fellow & lady pipesmoker's) help, advice, suggestions for my issue. I would like to get back to the bowl and cigar. Probably need to cut back, once I resume smoking, in my case. (Some of us are not as tough!)
I guess I didn't wait long enough after the salty taste went away, before resuming smoking. It came back about a week or so ago. It's not as strong as before and it seems to be diminishing.
I'll wait probably at least two weeks (instead of 2 days) before resuming smoking when my issue has finally and fully cleared up. One buddy at work suggested to start off with only cigars and see if the issue resumes. Then add the pipe and see what happens. He mentioned to use a cleaner (organic, if possible) pipe tobacco instead of the mass-marketed stuff (such as Captain Black) which has more chemicals in it. He even suggested staying away from the flavored tobaccos.
I do remember smoking a full-size Acid Blondie. It was too much of a good thing. This was just before the issue started. I wonder if this might have a connection to my issue. (I enjoy the smaller size version of the Blondie which I will stick with.) If you didn't know, Acid cigars are made of tobacco leaves that sit in a room of botanicals which the leaf picks up.
Any other suggestions? I've researched on the internet and cannot find anyone else who has this issue and who also smokes. One idea is to go back to my local tobacconist (The Tobacco Leaf in Las Vegas) and tell them what's up. Maybe they might know of or have heard of this type of problem.
I think the issue has something to do with the flora of the mouth and the reaction to the tobacco smoke. As I mentioned before, my dentist said it's possibly due to sulfides (which originate in tobacco smoke).
It just doesn't make sense, that after months of smoking, this issue started up. All I can figure out so far is that I have an accumulation of whatever that is stirring things up.
Thanking in advance for your thoughts.
Regards, MrIvney

Status
Not open for further replies.