PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Aug 11, 2023
Title edited for caps. Pls. see rule 9

Now,
they've got me interested. In short, it ALL started with me looking for info on Squadron Leader.

On Tobaccoreviews there is a review by Canvas.

"I wanted to do something special for my 300th review, so I decided to finally pop open the much revered/hyped tobacco with a soaring biplane on the tin. In my case, this tin marked the one year anniversary of buying it in Japan, which at the time was the only place that had any! [...]*While in Tokyo I visited a few tobacconists, and I definitely recommend a trip to Ginza KIKUSUI. It was fully stocked and staffed by extremely knowledgeable English speakers who came across as traditional butlers ready to serve your every question and need."
-Canvas

This made me want to check out the tobacconists webpage.

I started looking into their tobaccos. The ones for the Japanese style of pipe first. They're all at the very bottom of this page.

japanese blends 1.png

They range in price from $6-8 dollars. I was only able to find a review for the first one. I saw this review of Koiki-Kizami (Stylish) on tobacco reviews. As Levins0 notes

"Unfortunately for the rest of the world, this is only sold in Japan, and it is apparently illegal to ship it outside of the country. If you are lucky enough to visit this beautiful country, or lucky enough to know someone going, then a box or three can be brought back with you or them in luggage."

As noted on the Ginza-Kikusui webpage, THAT one is made in Japan. Despite this, the other tobaccos intended for smoking with Japanese pipes ALL list their "Country of Origins" as Denmark, OR Germany. If they're manufactured in Europe, does that mean they might be somehow accessible outside of Japan? 🤔Or is there some agreement that prevents all of that? Has anyone actually smuggled some outta Denmark or Germany?🤷🏾‍♂️

I then took a gander at the tobacco specifically intended for Western Pipes.

japanese blends 2.pngYou see all the familiar stuff their, same logos, etc but in Japanese packaging. Further down you will find some distinctly Japanese brands grouped under "JT-I Product" Momoyama Smoking Mixture 1934 and Asuka both list Denmark as their country of origin. Havent found any English reviews. BUT! Also in that category is Silk Road Luxury Mild Cavendish and Rock'n Chair which 'sound' more western.

What a WILD trip that biplane sent me on!

Last edited by a moderator:

Mrs. Pickles

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 8, 2022
AZ, USA
I've never tried Koiki, but I'd certainly like to. Also hoping a member will share their experience of it here.

I believe your guess is correct that the JT-I products produced outside of Japan for the Japanese markets are probably restricted by contract agreements where the manufacturer say, MacBaren, makes a product exclusively for Japan Tobacco and it's up to Japan Tobacco to sell it where they can.

Mrs. Pickles

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 8, 2022
AZ, USA
A friend brought me 2 boxes of the first one in your pic and a pipe during her trip earlier this year.

I have only given it a few bowls so far so not much to comment but it’s fun!

Looking forward to reading your impressions of it as you dig in!

Somehow, and for sure it's worlds apart, I keep imagining the flavor of Le Petit Robin Semois when I look at it. Must be the superfine shag cut.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
👺Wowsers! 👹

🤔 is it heresy to try it in an English pipe? I know there's not much of it in there. What do you drink alongside it on a cool evening -sake or shochu? 🍶
I imagine a standard pipe would use at least half a box per bowl and I have no idea what it would burn like in such a large chamber. It’s legit like cobweb fine. I guess if I had a pound of it, I’d experiment but I don’t.