Has anyone ordered a pipe from S. Yanik's website?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
I have had my eye on a model pictured for a few years now. I think someone else here has the one pictured in the catalog. It is, without a doubt, the most amazing pipe I have ever seen. Absolutely flawless.
Has anyone ordered from his online catalog (most of the pages of which won't load for me)? How's the communication? Does the buyer get to choose stem color, wax color, case covering or lining colors? Was a pipe close enough to the one pictured, or at least of the same level of detail, that you were satisfied?

jonasclark

Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
Stem/shank fitting not good how? I do have one of his already, bought around 2005, a skull-in-hand. Shank fitting seems okay, at least on that one, but it's possible I just had good luck. It has two spots on it, in relatively inconspicuous places, where it's obvious that he encountered a tiny rock or bit of sand and had no choice but to leave a little pit, and I'm not sure there's anything he could have done about that but junk the entire thing.

jonasclark

Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
Edit: I did some searching, and through Google I found a series of posts on another forum where someone blasted Yanik on quality and claimed he was rude, angry, and banned the person from bidding on his pipes after the person complained, and several years later some other people rekindled the post and said similar things. Another poster pointed out that, curiously, all of these people wrote in an eerily similar manner-- and the first poster's tirade seemed to be copy-pasted with a few minor changes from one posted elsewhere by someone of a different name.
Doesn't mean there aren't problems, of course. But someone does seem to hold a long-lasting grudge and is willing to try to make it appear as though several people feel the same.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Your best bet is to have him list it though ebay. That way you are protected with the ebay return policy. If he won't list it, chances are the pipe has a flaw and you didn't want it anyway.

jonasclark

Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
All is well! He sent me photos of the pipe in its new case-- I asked for custom colors, red outside, flame silk top, red velvet bottom. The pipe is truly beautiful. I'll be paying with bank transfer, not Western Union.

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
When you get your pipe please post some pictures. I've been eyeing a few of his pipes for years. I'm happy with my Altinoks but I'll be retiring in a few years and might have to get me a retirement present from Yanik.

jonasclark

Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
Will do. Here is a photo of the pipe in its case. The case colors were by request: red covering, red velvet lower (I know it looks black here), flame silk upper. Many of his pipes use this yellow, unbleached beeswax, but some use white. I don't think I need to post the one I already have, as he posts many skull pipes; it's basic, as his skull designs go, but eerily realistic.
7FPBV31.jpg

This is my dream meerschaum. I have Benjamin Rapaport's book on antique meerschaums, and although there are some in there I love, I don't want to own them. Yanik has some pipes that are equal to many antique exhibition pipes (like the one currently on eBay for $12,000!) I've also gone through his catalog extensively, and there are two or three others in there that I dearly love. But this is the pipe I want to own. It's very similar to one owned by Fred, another member here. Here is Fred's pipe:
J97evBx.jpg

During the emailed chat, Yanik ran across a photo of my collection, and pointed out one of the pipes, a meerschaum with a hand holding a large rose. I bought it in a local smoke shop around a decade ago, after admiring it for a few years. It's unsigned, but should be-- spectacular carving, and with that mottled texture-under-the-surface I only see on exceptionally high-quality meerschaum. He says he'll dig up a photo of a similar pipe he has-- they were carved by his father, Husseyin Yanik, around 1982-83 (Husseyin began signing pipes in 1988). It's nice to finally have it identified, and to know I have his father's work.

easterntraveler

Dec 29, 2012
I bought one of his pipes. I had no problems with him. Then again I did not have a reason to contact him after I recieved the pipe.

jonasclark

Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
Thanks!
He did send me the photo of his father's pipe. It's also from SMS, and from the photo, I have no doubt his and mine are from the same carver, though his has a fancier cuff and a shank extension. Here is his:
SxOrHyQ.jpg

And mine:
1eL4ewk.jpg

jonasclark

Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
Thanks! I can't wait for it to arrive. I already have some pipes I think are very special, but nothing will top this one.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
'Always an increment of risk buying a pipe. It's part of the adventure. But when it works out, it is most satisfying. Best luck and happy smoking.

Jul 31, 2012
A few months ago I had an email exchange with Sadik Yanik via his website email link.
I had been interested in two of the high end pipes he has there, and asked about them. He said he would only accept western union as payment. He also said a few other things that were a bit confusing. I will quote some of the conversation here for any others that are considering buying from him. After what was said, I ended up backing away from the purchase and bought one from meerschaummarket on ebay instead.
"The things you have said, make me a little worried that you are not really Sadik Yanik.
You said the picture gallery didnt work on the website because it was being edited.

I happen to know that most of the pictures there have not worked in years. I have been looking at the pipes there for at least 5 years.
You said you never sell pipes on ebay if they are on your website.

Yet, looking at this ebay search link http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=meerschaum+yanik&_sop=16

The one for $12000 is listed there, and it is on your website, its not the only one from your website either.
You said you cannot accept anything but Western Union payments.

Yet, on ebay, all the pipes for sale by you in the link above, accept paypal payment forms.
I have a s.yanik pipe, and am very proud of it, I love the quality and want to buy more, but what you said, and what I see, dont match up.
If this makes you angry, sorry, I am only confused because what you said, and what I see are not the same."
His reply was this:
"https://www.facebook.com/sadik.yanik.5

This is my facebook account. You may send me a friendship to understand if I am the Sadik Yanık.

I used to accept paypal in my website that is why there paypal logo in my website. However since4 the 6th of June paypal withdrew from Turkey and since then I am not able to accpet paypal. You may see that it is real in paypal's website.

I accept paypal in ebay now but this account belongs to my friend.

I added the pipe to my eBay which also in sale in my website. The reason of it is to attract attention since this pipe is gorgeous. Other pipes do not list in eBay.

I also send you my identity info about western union. It is not possible to find another Sadik Yanik together with the same address.

However, it is also possible for you to make a bank transfer if you are interested. A lot of frined and customer of mine use this way too.

Since my webste is made of flash programme some computers or tablets do not support it and the pictures may not open.

I also send you the detailled pictures which is not possible if I am not the real Sadik Yanik

Thee is nothing to angry about. I totally understand you.

Best Regards

Sadik Yanik"
Just wanted to share this, I'm not upset with him, I really did not want to use western union. Anyone else interested in buying from his website, draw your own conclusions.

jonasclark

Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
Thanks! I did use bank transfer. He's correct on PayPal-- they pulled out of Turkey.
He says my pipe is on its way. Whether it arrives or doesn't, I'll definitely be posting that info here.

Jan 8, 2013
Jonas, you're going to love your Yanik meer. I'm so proud of mine, I made a video of it lol!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gu_FsogWo6Q
Yours is of a similar style to mine, a claw holding an egg hatching a dragon. Mine was literally my holy grail pipe. Here's the original thread if you'd like to check it out. http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/o-fortuna-the-quest-for-the-dragon-meer-with-pictures
As you'll see in the above video or in the photos, mine is absolutely massive in size, and the detail is out of this world. Once you have yours in your hand, you'll see that photos really do it no justice. I'm excited FOR you, brother. Be sure to post photos once you have it in your hands. Enjoy the heck out of it :D

jonasclark

Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
Thanks, anthonyrosenthal! Yours is spectacular. I hope mine (a) does arrive and (b) is amazing. Ours seem to be almost exactly the same motif, save that yours has a much larger meerschaum portion. I think mine is smaller but longer, and with a longer stem.

Jan 8, 2013
I think mine is smaller but longer, and with a longer stem.
mine's about 9 1/2 inches long I think.
Make sure you post more photos when yours arrives. I can't wait to see more of it. Beautiful pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.