PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

TonyManx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2021
Connecticut
I am afraid I will be MIA until April. My wife is having major surgery in the beginning of March. With covid we have pretty much been staying home. After surgery I will be on nursing duty. But the April meeting is on my calendar. By the way, I made a post In Facebook with hopes of getting on your e-mail list.
Family first. I hope that we see you in the near future. Please PM me your email address.

Reactions: Ksigel

Ksigel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 16, 2021
Connecticut
I just looked up why it's called that. Sadly it's not because a wizard lived there! :(
Please fill me in. As a long time, unquestioning resident, I figured we called it Mystic because that was its name. Love to learn the origin of the name.

TonyManx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2021
Connecticut
International Pipe Smoking Day is Feb 20, 2022. The Hartford Reading Society will have its regular monthly meeting this Thursday, Feb 10. We will discuss how we plan to celebrate IPSD. Some members of the Sherlock Holmes Pipe Club of Boston may be joining us. Hope to meet some of you.

TonyManx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2021
Connecticut
To celebrate International Pipe Smoking Day (IPSD) 2022, Some members of the HRS will be joining Members of The Sherlock Holmes Pipe Club at The Humidor in Warwick Rhode Island. We will be carpooling and anyone is welcome to come along.

TonyManx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2021
Connecticut
Myself, Thom Knox, Meghan McDonald , and Ox Gara carpooled to The Humidor in Warwick RI. We met with members of The Sherlock Holmes Pipe Club of Boston to celebrate International Pipe Smoking Day 2022. It was a day of great conversation, great food, and great smokes. The Humidor offered a 15% discount on tobacco, and 20% on pipes. Looking forward to another meet up with this fine group.

TonyManx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2021
Connecticut
I would like to attend if still active. I'm a bit of a drive in Darien, but always looking to meet new.pipe smokers as I'm a little.new.tonthenpipe world.
Google says 45 minutes from Darien to Waterbury, you can carpool with me from there. Also, we may have a get together sometime at The Owl Shop on College St in New Haven. Did you join The Hartford Reading Society page on Facebook ? If you're not on FB, PM me your email address so you're in the loop.

TonyManx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2021
Connecticut
Google says 45 minutes from Darien to Waterbury, you can carpool with me from there. Also, we may have a get together sometime at The Owl Shop on College St in New Haven. Did you join The Hartford Reading Society page on Facebook ? If you're not on FB, PM me your email address so you're in the loop.
This Sunday, March 20, The Hartford Reading Society will meet at The Owl Shop in New Haven at 12:30pm. All are welcome to join us.

TonyManx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2021
Connecticut
The Tobacco Shop is being renovated. Currently relocated next to Vaughan's Public House, 59 Pratt St Hartford. That's where next meeting will likely be. Second Thursday of the month, 7pm. I will try to post when everything is confirmed. Hope to see some new faces.

TonyManx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2021
Connecticut
Ladies and Gentlemen !
This months meeting will be held this Thursday At the Tobacco Shop !
PLEASE BE ADVISED , due to renovations at the shop at 89 Pratt Street , the Tobacco shop has Temporarily been shifted to
55 Pratt Street , between "Vaughns Public House" and "Painting with a Twist" .
So we will see you this Thursday, April 14th ,at 7:00Pm for the usual comradeship and joviality !

TonyManx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2021
Connecticut
This Thursday May 5th at 7pm is the monthly meeting of the Hartford Reading Society at the temporary home of the Tobacco Shop LLC 55 Pratt St. Hartford. Come visit with Herbert Bush one of our founding members as he visits from Colorado.

TonyManx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2021
Connecticut
Ladies and Gentlemen , Children of all ages ... This months meeting of the Hartford Reading Society will take place at Firefly Hollow Brewing -139 Center St, Bristol, CT! THursday July 14, 2022
Through the Auspices of Brewing Savant and all around Renaissance Man Ron Page, we have been invited to have our meeting at this well-thought-of brewery in Bristol Connecticut. Time 7:00pm or earlier ! This Thursday !
So, if you are in the area or not too far away , Please ! Please ! Come and join us at Firefly Hollow for Fellowship and Smoke.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A pipe smoking club in Hartford, Connecticut, that is called the Reading Society should surely meet once year at the historical mansion of Mark Twain/Samuel Clemons in Hartford, since he was an avid tobacco devotee who ws also a prolific writer. Even if they wouldn't approve smoking inside, I recall the mansion has a spacious porch where members could put forth a cloud of smoke that Samuel would surely approve, from the great beyond.

TonyManx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2021
Connecticut
A pipe smoking club in Hartford, Connecticut, that is called the Reading Society should surely meet once year at the historical mansion of Mark Twain/Samuel Clemons in Hartford, since he was an avid tobacco devotee who ws also a prolific writer. Even if they wouldn't approve smoking inside, I recall the mansion has a spacious porch where members could put forth a cloud of smoke that Samuel would surely approve, from the great beyond.
Good suggestion. I know some members were given a private tour, after hours. I'll bring it up at a meeting.

TonyManx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2021
Connecticut
A lovely night was had by all this past Thursday at one of the larger Post COVID turnouts of the HRS.
Pipe Smoker Dana Bourque of Firefly Hollow Brewery was our generous host , a special smokers table was waiting for us
on the converted loading dock patio.
The setting gave a Speakeasy /Safehouse feel to the venue, as you drove down the long driveway in the turn of the century industrial area,
having second thoughts as to whether you made the right turn or not - but Then the property opens up and There Your Are !
A Very Nice taproom as well as the afore said patio , and staff who understand the meaning of Customer Service .
Very tasty beers whether you enjoy traditional European Profiles or Hops and IPAS.
We welcome Dana as the newest HRS member and happily grant the HRS seal
of approval to Firefly Hollow Brewing and Brewmaster /Owner Dana Bourque !
Remember , That's Firefly Hollow Brewing Co. ,139 Center St. , Bristol, CT . ,06010
And YES , you're in the right place !