PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottygod

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2013
Arizona
www.etsy.com
A while back I started thinking I would try my hand at making my own pipe. I started with pine (since everyone just has it laying around) and then got some cherrywood and curly maple. I ordered a bunch of MM bits and gave it a go. I don't have a band saw, lathe or sanding wheel so it's all hand drilling, table saw cutting and lots and lots of filing. But I like doing it and I don't think they're terrible.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
Can you taste the wood when you draw? I would think that the lighter woods like pine nights actually burn rather then form a cake?

Either way the shapes are very nice indeed.

Reactions: scottygod

scottygod

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2013
Arizona
www.etsy.com
I'll take a look at the pipe makers forum. Thanks! I'd seen cherrywood pipes elsewhere and figured it was probably okay. I haven't researched the maple, though I'd also seen maple pipes elsewhere. I know sometimes lumber comes pressure treated with pesticides and these at least don't have that problem. The bottom two are my personal ones and I haven't had any trouble with them. Haven't noticed the wood imparting any particular flavors.

Reactions: SpookedPiper

scottygod

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2013
Arizona
www.etsy.com
Yeah, I can see that but eventually the wooden dowel in the cob burns away and there's no more Woody taste. I have seen pipes from Olive wood as well and wondered if they tasted different.

Probably to some degree. I had seen one recently that was made from Mesquite and figured that would probably impart some taste.

Last edited:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Other than pine, I think those woods might work, if not quite as long and well as briar. Your style is really nifty, rustic yet modern, like high end Danish furniture, and entirely your own. Since 2002, I've bought pipes from a carver who uses briar but also Mountain Laurel, maple, and one pipe I bought in cocobolo (don't use that one, it is a problem, the dust). He is Jerry Perry of Colfax, N.C., and does repair via online, but sells no pipes online. "If I did," he says, "I'd spend all my time taking pictures." I an relate.

Status
Not open for further replies.