PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seadogontheland

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 4, 2014
I just put in a late night order for some more tobacco and it did make me smile. :)
All of you gentlemen are dear souls and I value everything expressed in this thread...Thank you all so much.

matches

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2015
Dunedin, NZ
I feel for you seadog though I haven't been through what you're going through. Not just online interaction can sometimes mask that many of us are facing significant struggles and pains and that those who go through life happy and whole all the time are very few. For me the last hard years have pressed upon me more reality in being a Christian and how much I need help from Jesus and others. You're not alone and with those above your in my thoughts and prayers.

ravenwolf

Can't Leave
Mar 18, 2014
Seadog - you are not alone, and you're right to not lock down and keep everything to yourself.
I divorced a year and a half ago. My ex wife and I grew up together, went to high school together, she stayed with me during my military years, and we loved each other. I worked multiple jobs and went to college. When I wasn't around, she amused herself with adultery enough times for me to finally throw in the towel. I did everything I could to salvage that relationship. The final straw was finding her with a long time friend that I invited to stay with us when he was evicted from his family's home after coming out of the closest as a transgender individual (the family were Irish Catholic from Ireland, which can put American Catholicism to shame regarding discrimination.) I didn't care about the transgender stuff, but the fact that she took advantage of a situation like that for her own ends.
Divorce pain is worse than physical pain, but you will survive it. Try to keep things non aggressive if at all possible. We drew up our own divorce papers, specific down to every little thing in a 50/50 fashion, and it was approved by the Judge with no problem. Not a penny spent on lawyers. A lady at the courthouse actually was kind enough to give me the documents with blank spaces in them, and supervised my editing of the raw documents. Sometimes all you need to do is ask for a bit of help in life when you need it.
There are many good things that can come from divorce too. I learned who my true friends were, and the ones that definitely were not true friends. There was a bunch in the middle that I realized basically meant nothing, and so I quit wasting my time on empty friendships too.
Freedom to *rediscover who you are as a single entity* is a beautiful thing. It's a valuable time to reflect upon who you are, and consider how you might go about improving yourself in the future - not because anything is wrong with you, but because you can do so now entirely as you see fit. I used this transitional period to re-evaluate everything about myself. As a result, I am a much stronger person now. I've also doubled my income entirely as a byproduct of having a healthier state of mind and healthier state of being. I've got a great girlfriend now, when at the time I didn't know if I would ever even want another relationship again :puffy:
You will also likely gain, eventually, a new understanding that our time on Earth is limited. Your time and your efforts are more precious than you realize. You'll begin to find good ways to utilize that knowledge in whatever way is best for you, coming from a clean perspective.
One piece of advice - if you could possibly benefit from professional help from a therapist or psychologist, and you can find a way to make it happen, I would recommend it. If I am honest, I needed the help at the time, but I was too damn stubborn and stupid to go get it. It probably would have been very helpful. No man is unbreakable and no man can survive as an island. Lean on us, but despite the very best of wishes, I reckon most of us lack real credentials that may prove useful to you.
It is the hardships in life that make us who we are. You can allow them to torment you, or you can use them as catalyst tool for growth. I guess I did the former and followed it with the latter. In any case, I am a much healthier, happier, and better person after divorce - and I hope that you will be too.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I feel for you chum. I myself am going through a divorce right now. I spent years trying to avoid it but with my wife 2 months away from here Green Card and the usual weird behavior I decided enough was enough and filed an action against her on Friday the 13th of last month! Luckily we have a prenup which sprang into action so I am able to ship the papers to London next week and have her sign them and eight years of marriage goes straight down the pan. Believe you me after a while you get tired of fighting for a relationship where the other party doesn't care of doesn't know what they are giving up. Move on with life and accept that it will hurt for a little while but then you will be left with only the good memories.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
One piece of advice - if you could possibly benefit from professional help from a therapist or psychologist,
OK, if you can make yourself 'available' to the advice. I'm pretty hard headed and don't put a lot of stock into psychology.

It's funny, sort of, to hear you say that now. That's what MY lawyer told me. He was a guy with whom I regularly played basketball and I called upon him when I filed for divorce. That was about the only thing of value he provided, and of course, that was the one thing I disdained.

In retrospect, I MIGHT have benefited from 'professional' advice.

When your ship is sinking and you know it can't be salvaged, that it must be scuttled, you don't always remember the oars as you leap into the lifeboat. I think women may be more resilient in times of emotional stress. They practice monthly for most of their adult lives, and THEY don't have to pay to get laid.

seadogontheland

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 4, 2014
Matches, I too am Christian and thank you for your prayers, brother.
Raven, Thank you for your advice, lots of good wisdom in your words. I am a professional counselor and I finally realized I can't fix myself and have put aside my pride. I see a therapist next week and with my insurance I feel very blessed to be able to do so. I'm sorry for your former situation, but gladdened that life has changed very positively for you.
Condor, Only the good memories, very sage expressions. Thank you.
Newbroom, Your post made me laugh, thank you for the different point of view.
Thefalcon, Very kind of you, thank you, Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.