PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

minfarshaw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
My wife surprised me with a new medium sized claw from pipes and cigars. This is my first meer, I have no idea how to care for it. With my briars, I usually roll a piece of tissue paper and wipe the bowl clean. I think for that reason, the cake in my briars is pretty thin. I like it that way. So I am guessing that running a pipe cleaner through after the smoke is alright. Do I wipe the bowl clean with tissue after smoking with the meet too? What is your routine after smoke clean-up for your meets? I want to treat this pipe right. Happy New Year everyone!;)

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Hey min, I don't have many meers, but I treat them the same as my briars, wipe them out after smoking, and leave a pipe cleaner in the stem overnite. Then just let it air out for a day or two. I can stand a little cake in my briars, but keep the meers pretty much cake free. Nice thing about meers is that they don't hold flavors like briars, and they smoke drier.

Congrats on the new pipe though, have fun with it.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Run both ends of a bristle pipe cleaner the stem, fold the cleaner in half and scrub any residue out of the bowl. Meers do not need the prolonged rest period of a briar, but do wait until they are fully cooled before smoking again. Wipe with a soft cloth, and never remove the stem by turning counter clockwise. Always insert and remove the stem turning clockwise so as to not remove the nylon mortise insert and damaging the threads in the meer.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I handle my Meer with hands that have been washed so I don't soil the outside. Some folks smoke them with white gloves or holding a cloth. I just make sure my hands are clean. After your smoke, you don't want cake in a Meer, I take a paper towel and wet it sparringlay and ring the crap out if it, then I twist it around the inside and clean bowl like my Briars. Some smokers say don't break apart your pipe until its cold , Bah Humbug, everything , shank, tendon, is at temperature and has expanded it's fullest, I gently twist clockwise and take stem out and run cleaner thru stem, then Meer shank, be careful some cleaners the wire will scratch the inside, make sure the tip of the cleaner is straight . I have cutters and usually cut about 3/8 of tip off of cleaner. I have taken off stems on all my pipes after smoking, that's when the gunk and crap is in flux and can be cleaned, a cold pipe cannot be cleaned with just a dry pipe cleaner. You may look on this Forum for Condorlover and Top D they are Meer Men of the first class and can impart more knowledge than this old Cajun Fart can. Happy puffing.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
You can get some beeswax and wipe the bowl when its still warm, after you are done smoking it. Doing this every so often will help keep the shine.

minfarshaw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
I just smoked some Mississippi River in it. It was a pretty good smoke. Nice and dry. Now I see what peiple mean about a dry smoke. The pipe is a bent claw from meerschaum depot via Pipes and Cigars. The bowl is skinny but deep. I wish it was a little bit wider, I think that would really bring out the flavor of the tobacco. Maybe I will smoke a flake next time. Couldn't get the pipe cleaner through and decided not to push it. Anyway, I blew into it and got a whole bunch of white powder? Hmmm... Maybe This pipe isn't made of block meerschaum?

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I blew into it and got a whole bunch of white powder?
Just dust left over from carving I would think. Have had it happen with some of mine when they were new...

minfarshaw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
I must rave about this claw meerschaum. This is the first time I've tried smoking out of one, it is so nice. I've smoked it all day for the last 3 days. It is making my tobacco taste so delicious. So glad I tried it. I think my next purchases will be meers.

Status
Not open for further replies.