PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
I thought this would be a fun post for people, especially newer pipe smokers like me, to see what you can manage to squirrel away in 1 year.

I had ZERO tins stocked up before the end of July 2019, only a dozen or so open jars on a shelf. I would consider myself to have cellared at a moderate pace. I usually buy 4-5 tins at a time, maybe once a week. Sometimes more, sometimes less.

I can’t pull everything out and account for an ounce by ounce rundown, on account of my wife would then know exactly how much tobacco I’ve really been buying. Suffice it to say, I’ve managed to collect a decent range of fine tobaccos. Some are plentiful, some require much research and patience, some are limited releases, etc.

I know my stash is paltry to many, even most on here... but today when I put away my first Esterval’s order I was struck by the thought that I’m proud of my cellar! For those who are just starting to cellar tobacco, don’t lose hope! Even if the new regulations take effect next year, you can still cobble together a nice little stash.

45A40A37-E1BC-458E-A8DB-12C502937191.jpeg
265D49F3-7FA9-4F75-8DC8-7922A2A72992.jpeg
93C31457-737C-4EB3-A0C2-FDECF7E72353.jpeg
C8A3D102-D778-4005-B014-A8DB83B0F2F6.jpeg
25A5DB4A-C73E-4F6C-8C42-94AB78F4F6DD.jpeg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My recent pipe smoking has been going on for about twelve years and that's about the size of my stash, but I smoke about a bowl or three a day. I don't buy much at a time, but I buy some from time to time, enough to accumulate rather than deplete my supply. You have plenty to entertain your tastebuds for quite a while. There's a 15% off sale on Cornell & Diehl bulk on SP right now. I didn't say that.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
My recent pipe smoking has been going on for about twelve years and that's about the size of my stash, but I smoke about a bowl or three a day. I don't buy much at a time, but I buy some from time to time, enough to accumulate rather than deplete my supply. You have plenty to entertain your tastebuds for quite a while. There's a 15% off sale on Cornell & Diehl bulk on SP right now. I didn't say that.
Evil. I just took advantage of the cigar sale and now this starts..

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I thought this would be a fun post for people, especially newer pipe smokers like me, to see what you can manage to squirrel away in 1 year.

I had ZERO tins stocked up before the end of July 2019, only a dozen or so open jars on a shelf. I would consider myself to have cellared at a moderate pace. I usually buy 4-5 tins at a time, maybe once a week. Sometimes more, sometimes less.

I can’t pull everything out and account for an ounce by ounce rundown, on account of my wife would then know exactly how much tobacco I’ve really been buying. Suffice it to say, I’ve managed to collect a decent range of fine tobaccos. Some are plentiful, some require much research and patience, some are limited releases, etc.

I know my stash is paltry to many, even most on here... but today when I put away my first Esterval’s order I was struck by the thought that I’m proud of my cellar! For those who are just starting to cellar tobacco, don’t lose hope! Even if the new regulations take effect next year, you can still cobble together a nice little stash.

View attachment 36949
View attachment 36950
View attachment 36951
View attachment 36952
View attachment 36953
Very nice work for one year. Imagine what it will be at year 2

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I never intended to age blends, but since my smoking is glacial in pace, I end up aging most tins four or five years added to whatever aging has been done by the blender.

foursidedtriangle

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 22, 2018
Your taste looks good. My buying is stopped due to regulation. A cautionary tale that I wished I bought less tobacco not more, now I feel forced to actually smoke it haha.

Reactions: mtwaller

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
I never intended to age blends, but since my smoking is glacial in pace, I end up aging most tins four or five years added to whatever aging has been done by the blender.
Same here. I haven’t smoked a pipe in probably 3 weeks. It’s just been too damn hot down here in Georgia. Even when I smoke “regularly” it amounts to a bowl every 2 or 3 days, and I’m fine with that. Just means my cellar will last quite a long time, once I get all of the Gawith tins in Mylar.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013

View attachment 36949
View attachment 36950
View attachment 36951
View attachment 36952
View attachment 36953
I think you've done well by yourself, but remember, cellaring requires a true hoarder's spirit. Cellaring is surfeit, surfeit is "an intemperate or immoderate indulgence in something." What better "something" in which to indulge than tobacco?

So I would counsel that you, at least, triple the poundage in the next year. Go broke. Go for broke. Go bankrupt. Remember, such extravagance is blessed by Terodin, the Greek god of tobacco.

Now you're going to bus out of those cabinets in the not too distant future. My advice: dig a bomb shelter and line it with lead. This will also save you from your's prying eyes.

Your mantra is "more." More, more, more! Always more!

radrick96

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 4, 2020
Orlando, Florida

View attachment 36949
View attachment 36950
View attachment 36951
View attachment 36952
View attachment 36953
Happy birthday to your cellar hahaha
Nice! I hope to have as many as you. Looks like some great blends. Did you just buy whatever amount you could or did you calculate coverage for a certain amount of years?

I plan to start buying 5 tins of each blend I like/want. I figure if i get 7 or 8 blends (5 tins each) that will give me a years supply. I can smoke a couple different blends each day and be satisfied.

For everybody a year is obviously different depending on how much you smoke, I know for me it’s 2 bowls a day but sometimes there are breaks. Im thinking when I reach 35-40 tins I will try and start cellaring more or just deeper for a 5 year supply. I feel like that won’t be overwhelming.

Bowie

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
Nice looking cellar. It's satisfying to see the tin stacks grow upward and outward.

yeah and then your wife will see a tiny portion sitting out, think that's your whole cellar, and say "why do you have so much tobacco?"
then you will think of the 45x more you have stashed away and clench your buttcheeks.

Or "You have enough for ONE HUNDRED YEARS!" (Well, no, but it's a goal worth striving for...)

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Happy birthday to your cellar hahaha
Nice! I hope to have as many as you. Looks like some great blends. Did you just buy whatever amount you could or did you calculate coverage for a certain amount of years?

I plan to start buying 5 tins of each blend I like/want. I figure if i get 7 or 8 blends (5 tins each) that will give me a years supply. I can smoke a couple different blends each day and be satisfied.

For everybody a year is obviously different depending on how much you smoke, I know for me it’s 2 bowls a day but sometimes there are breaks. Im thinking when I reach 35-40 tins I will try and start cellaring more or just deeper for a 5 year supply. I feel like that won’t be overwhelming.

Honestly I have not even attempted to calculate how much I will need of X blend to last X number of years. Basically if I like something, I try to stock up deeper and buy it more frequently than I buy blends I’ve never tried before.

I feel I’ve done a lot of purchasing of blends across a wide spectrum, and now that I have a solid variety, I’ve started to focus more on stocking up on the ones I love. I try every other week to buy at least 4-6 tins (or equivalent bulk) of favorites such as Plum Pudding, Irish Flake, etc. I don’t think I’m anywhere near a lifetime supply of these, even as little as I smoke. So I’ll keep slowly adding a couple here and there as long as I’m able to.

The advice I’ve always heard is “if you love a particular tobacco, cellar it DEEP.” Like pounds and pounds of the stuff. Seems to be sound advice, in my opinion. You never know when one of them will bite the dust completely, or be prohibitively scarce and expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.