PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I avoided Cognac for most of my adult life because when I tried it in the past I didn't like it. I tried Hennessy, Martell and several other big "names" cognacs. Then on a whim I bought a bottle of Salignac VS in December. I was amazed at how smooth and flavorful it was.

It has also led me to try a few other cognacs and I'm now a fan of A. DE Fussigny Selection and plan to try some of the other De Fussigny expressions. I'm planning a purchase of the Superieur because it's described as having a "Soft buttery feel with a round smokey character with hints of toasted spice and warm vanilla." It scored a 91 at the Gold Medal- San Francisco Spirits Competition.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I avoided Cognac for most of my adult life because when I tried it in the past I didn't like it. I tried Hennessy, Martell and several other big "names" cognacs. Then on a whim I bought a bottle of Salignac VS in December. I was amazed at how smooth and flavorful it was.

It has also led me to try a few other cognacs and I'm now a fan of A. DE Fussigny Selection and plan to try some of the other De Fussigny expressions. I'm planning a purchase of the Superieur because it's described as having a "Soft buttery feel with a round smokey character with hints of toasted spice and warm vanilla." It scored a 91 at the Gold Medal- San Francisco Spirits Competition.
When I first started getting into Cognac I was surprised at how not good the big names were. Some of them aren't bad but there's really just nothing to them that makes them worthwhile.

I regular Cognac is A de Fussigny Sélection which I get get for about $38/bottle locally. I haven't tried their Superior.

All of their VSOPs are great and I really like that you can try them and get a feel for the difference in the regions. Plus they're nice for when you want something a little nicer than a daily drinker but not too expensive either.

Oddly though, I didn't think their XO was worth the price. Maybe it was a little nicer but it just wasn't worth the extra money.

I highly recommend pairing Cognac with a good VaPer if you like both. Any of the Fussigny line and WCC Old Dominion are a match made in heaven IMO.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
That's a heckuva haul! Are you sourcing from somewhere in Australia or are you ordering from Europe (France) like I do?
The Vallein Terciner came from Cognac Expert in France. The Frapin is from the Australian importer who is an old drinking buddy, and the Grosperrin is from Spirits of France, a Melbourne (Australia) based importer with a large inventory of Cognacs and Armagnacs. The Ragnaud Sabourin came from an Australian online wine retailer. I have bought from The Whisky Exchange in the UK in the past

Cognac Expert and Spirits of France are probably my go-to sources. Hine, Delamain and Frapin are probably my favourite houses.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I was using Cognac Expert in France but either due to a regulation change or Covid they are only using the French Postal Service to ship to the US and they don't ship to Vegas which is sad because they just had a limited supply of Jean Aubineau 63 & 52 year old bottles aged in WWII era casks which I'm going to miss out on.

I used to order from some places in California to but the state changed regulations and now most places there can't ship out of state.

I'm down to one place in France and one place in California that still ship hard to get stuff. Hopefully access and/or supply will get better once covid is just a memory for the world.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I was using Cognac Expert in France but either due to a regulation change or Covid they are only using the French Postal Service to ship to the US and they don't ship to Vegas which is sad because they just had a limited supply of Jean Aubineau 63 & 52 year old bottles aged in WWII era casks which I'm going to miss out on.

I used to order from some places in California to but the state changed regulations and now most places there can't ship out of state.

I'm down to one place in France and one place in California that still ship hard to get stuff. Hopefully access and/or supply will get better once covid is just a memory for the world.
I guess I'm lucky in having so many sources. I haven't bought from Whisky Exchange the past couple of years because British Post stopped handling alcohol and the shipping service they now use not only charges a lot more, but all their parcels get passed onto Oz Customs who are a rapacious bunch. I only buy from The Whisky Exchange these days if it is a bottle I can't get anywhere else.

Reactions: danimalia

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Very nice haul. When my dad passed inherited around 15 bottles of Cognac.

I’m a bourbon guy so I gave them to one of my cousins. He thought I was insane.

I was over at his house recently and he was still talking about how crazy I am for giving up the cognac stash.

Oh well, we all have different tastes

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I think cognac bottle, label, and packaging design is the most tasteful of any libation
I love the elegant simplicity of the cognacsais bottle. Contrast that with the over-designed, over-sized "perfume bottles" replete with gilt that most houses seem compelled to present their offerings in these days

Here are 2 bottles of Hine Triomphe - a current iteration and the earlier elegant bottling. Needless to say the price of the new presentation is quite a step up from the old because the fancy, but useless ornamentation has to be paid for.

When the contents are sublime there should not be any need to dress it up image.jpgimage.jpg

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Very nice haul. When my dad passed inherited around 15 bottles of Cognac.

I’m a bourbon guy so I gave them to one of my cousins. He thought I was insane.

I was over at his house recently and he was still talking about how crazy I am for giving up the cognac stash.

Oh well, we all have different tastes
I grew up in a non-drinking household (except for very special occasions) but there was always a bottle of cognac. Whisky never made an appearance, and to this day, whisky/whiskey is my least preferred drink.

Australia of course is the home of Bunderburg Rum. Having tried it very early on, it put me off rum for decades. I rediscovered rum when I took up cigars, and now have a huge stash of rums/rhums (molasses-based and agricoles) which I usually drink
neat, unless it is a very hot day.

I'm all for people having different tastes. You should hear some of the arguments at one of my wine group dinners ! Often a person's 5star is lambasted by someone else.
Occasionally a bottle is presented when everyone bursts out in spontaneous applause or stands and bows, but that is rare.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Man, if I ever fall off the wagon, I know whose pad to crash... :LOL: I was mostly a whiskey and beer guy, with the occasional gin or tequila when in the mood. I did enjoy some brandy, but never really learned enough to get into the good stuff.

Hope y'all enjoy it for me!

Reactions: shanez and OzPiper

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Very happy to report the issue with shipping from Cognac Expert was simply a glitch with their website. All fixed and order placed.

I hope they have enough stock to fill the order instead of issuing a refund. The bottles are limited to 2 per customer.

Reactions: dcon and OzPiper

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Very happy to report the issue with shipping from Cognac Expert was simply a glitch with their website. All fixed and order placed.

I hope they have enough stock to fill the order instead of issuing a refund. The bottles are limited to 2 per customer.
It took @ 4 weeks for my bottle to get to Sydney because of the Covid delays.
The plus was that it arrived bypassing Oz Customs so I didn't have to pay duty on it :)

Reactions: shanez
Status
Not open for further replies.