PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Don't you just love great craftsmanship?
There is nothing like taking raw materials and building something from scratch

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Wonderful piece, bullbriar. I love the look and the craftsmanship. If I tried something like that, I'd lose all my fingers in the process. You are talented, sir.

Aug 14, 2012
I have to tell you that of all the years I spent in public school, my favorite course was shop, where we also learned mechanical drawing, the subject I liked the most. I have forgotten most of my teachers' names, but still remember the precise and articulate gentleman who taught that course. So, since I can't thank him, I am thanking you.

bullbriar

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2013
Rickpal,
Since I wanted a roundover on a shallow (3/16) hole, I had to resaw 3/16" off the top of each board, through-drill with a 1 1/8" forstner bit, router the hole's edge with a roundover, then glue it back to the original piece. You can see that on the edge of the middle and bottom shelves. It was a nice demo for the kiddos.
If you don't need a roundover, just drill the board with the forstner bit. It will make a flat-bottomed hole, with a tiny countersink in the middle which can be hidden by the felt (or leather?).

boudreaux

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2013
Ditto me on thanks for my two years of mechanical drawing classes I had. They are paying off for me right now in work projects. Never had a wood shop class, although that became a big and satisfying hobby much later in life. (My wood shop equipment has sat in storage for 11-12 years now.) Maybe when I actually resume married life one of these days, it'll be a good way to stay outta my wife's hair while she's busy dusting the teacups and doing her painting and 3-D landscape design. :rofl:
Comment about method use for the "bowl depressions." Could a plunge router implementation have made it easier, or would it be risky with the oak's open grain? Curious about that.

bullbriar

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2013
Boudreaux,
Yes a plunge router could have been used if you had the right bit (with the roundover)the right bushing, and then you would have to make a template for the holes to ride the bushing on. Just seemed easier the other way! I have a CNC router that I received through a grant that might be the best thing yet for the bowl depressions. I'll have to see once its set up!

flippinbird87

Might Stick Around
Jun 25, 2012
What a great looking pipe rack bullbriar! It looks ten times better than some of the really expensive racks available online. Never would have thought to include felt bottoms, great job! (Noticed that you have the same pull apart bolt lighter as me :) )

rickpal14

Lifer
Jun 9, 2011
Rickpal,
Since I wanted a roundover on a shallow (3/16) hole, I had to resaw 3/16" off the top of each board, through-drill with a 1 1/8" forstner bit, router the hole's edge with a roundover, then glue it back to the original piece. You can see that on the edge of the middle and bottom shelves. It was a nice demo for the kiddos.
If you don't need a roundover, just drill the board with the forstner bit. It will make a flat-bottomed hole, with a tiny countersink in the middle which can be hidden by the felt (or leather?).
Perfect!! That makes sense now! Now to get the needed materials..... Tomorrow will be a busy day!

bullbriar

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2013
Eaglerico,
Here's what I've got. Just Searched yahoo images under "pipe rack plan". I used a 3/4" bit instead of the 1 1/8" bit for the "half holes"
Good luck.
This is the pic which I used....
piperack-plan-600x479.png

Status
Not open for further replies.