PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I cold smoked a cheap grocery store ham this weekend. 6 hours with a mix of cherry and almond woods.

Just fantastic.

Deli sliced most of it for sammiches. Some was eaten cold and some pan fried at breakfast.

Going to double the smoke time on another and see how it turns out.

Also going to smoke a 2 lb block of cheddar.

I'll post the results.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I cold smoked a cheap grocery store ham this weekend. 6 hours with a mix of cherry and almond woods.

Just fantastic.

Deli sliced most of it for sammiches. Some was eaten cold and some pan fried at breakfast.

I'll post the results.
How did the smoked cheddar go Shane? Pics please.

Regards,

Jay.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA

Just fantastic.

I'll post the results.
when you say post you mean send us samples in the mail right :). Love smoked cheeses.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
@mawnansmiff

I smoked the cheese without heat on a day with about a 60 degree high temperature. The cheese was placed directly on a rack in the smoker. I used a 50/50 mix of cherry and almond wood. I filled the wood chip box all the way and actually left the house for about 6 hours. The neighborhood smelled great when I got home, the wood was gone, and a tiny wisp of smoke escaped the wood chip box when I checked it.

Everything online says to let the cheese rest in the fridge for 1-2 weeks but I couldn't wait. I just had to cut the cheese.

Amazing!

From what I understand the resting is to mellow the smokiness which might be necessary if mild cheddar is used but the sharp held up to the smoke.

I've got half the cheese resting in the fridge but the other half didn't last long.

I've been reading about smoking cheese and have some ideas for next time. I'm going for a little more intensity than what I got just for use on cheeseburgers. Going to try some other cheeses too.

20230322_112759.jpg
Done:
20230322_181113.jpg

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Nice one Shane but I have to ask, your last pic is orange and the only cheese I know of that colour is 'red Leicester', cheddar always being an off-white colour.

Whatever, I hope you enjoyed the fruits of your endeavours. Most smoked cheese over here has sadly never been anywhere near a smoker, it's just some chemical flavouring :rolleyes:.

That said, about 25 miles from me there's a great traditional smokehouse where they do their own seafood & cheese....all delightful and NO chemicals added, just oak and apple wood chips.

Regards,

Jay.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
Nice one Shane but I have to ask, your last pic is orange and the only cheese I know of that colour is 'red Leicester', cheddar always being an off-white colour.

Whatever, I hope you enjoyed the fruits of your endeavours. Most smoked cheese over here has sadly never been anywhere near a smoker, it's just some chemical flavouring :rolleyes:.

That said, about 25 miles from me there's a great traditional smokehouse where they do their own seafood & cheese....all delightful and NO chemicals added, just oak and apple wood chips.

Regards,

Jay.
In Canada (and the parts of the western US that I've visited) grocery store "cheddar" is typically orange, unless it is "aged Cheddar" in which case it usually has an age statement.

Screenshot_20230324-104016_Google.jpgScreenshot_20230324-103916_Google.jpgScreenshot_20230324-103856_Google.jpgScreenshot_20230324-103942_Google.jpg
Screenshot_20230324-104054_Google.jpgScreenshot_20230324-104136_Google.jpg

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
For the experts out there...how much smoke does a smoker actually produce?

I live in a high rise and I can't grill on the balcony, but can I get away with a smoker?

Reactions: shanez

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
In Canada (and the parts of the western US that I've visited) grocery store "cheddar" is typically orange, unless it is "aged Cheddar" in which case it usually has an age statement.

View attachment 211763View attachment 211764View attachment 211766View attachment 211768
View attachment 211769View attachment 211770
Interesting that the latter 2 cheddars are what I would instantly recognise as 'cheddar' whereas the other cheddars appear to be coloured with annatto as is our red Leicester (a very nice cheese if matured well).

North American cheese over here has a very poor reputation (with the exception of Monterey Jack which is quite edible but rarely found these days). This is likely a result of that pap cheese that is served with Macdonald burgers and the like which actually tastes of nothing.

Regards,

Jay.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
For the experts out there...how much smoke does a smoker actually produce?

I live in a high rise and I can't grill on the balcony, but can I get away with a smoker?
I use an electric smoker so there are no flames to worry about. I can set so there is almost no smoke visible as well. I can, however, smell it from over a half block away which I consider to be a good thing.