PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I love watching Haka. I mean who doesn't. It's almost up there with bagpipes. But I don't know much about them. I know when there are any sporting event with NZ, NZ team will do one. Like All Black and so on. Very graphic with wide eyes, tongues hanging out, giving Italian gesture for up yours.. Seems like it's almost like some type of a war dance. I just hope the military won't do haka in a field. That would probably ruin the element of surprise. Can you imagine Anzac getting ready to charge out of trenches in WWI, and Germans hearing haka performance? Like the pipes in WWI. First shots were usually ended up with pipers hence pipers only at rear after WWI. Tho, there are stories of pipers leading the charge after WWI. Just saw video of NZ soldiers doing haka front of British Gurkha. Gurkha's did kukuri "dance", more like a drill. Haka was much more spectacular.

yanoJL

Lifer
Oct 21, 2022
Pismo Beach, California
I've seen the football team from the university of Hawaii do it before a game, too. The warriors. I also think it's cool.
It doesn't seem to influence the final score, tho. The game I went to, Hawaii lost by 50.
But still, I like seeing it.

Reactions: JOHN72 and bullet08

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I've seen the football team from the university of Hawaii do it before a game, too. The warriors. I also think it's cool.
It doesn't seem to influence the final score, tho. The game I went to, Hawaii lost by 50.
But still, I like seeing it.
Hawaiian guys a huge. Who were they playing? 50 is a lot. Like highschool vs. college a lot.

Reactions: kcghost

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I enjoy the harmonies most but, can also enjoy a haka.

Who were they playing? 50 is a lot. Like highschool vs. college a lot.
When graduating high school as a good football player would you chose "Two a days" in Hawaii, trade winds silent in August or, U of Washington, some place in Colorado, or other reasonably temperate location. I know my choice! rotf

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I enjoy the harmonies most but, can also enjoy a haka.

When graduating high school as a good football player would you chose "Two a days" in Hawaii, trade winds silent in August or, U of Washington, some place in Colorado, or other reasonably temperate location. I know my choice! rotf
Well. If you put it that way x)

• Haha
Reactions: warren

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I know the modern All Blacks do it to lay down a challenge and to pump themselves up. I've heard players say that sometimes it pumps them up too much. Opposing teams use it to pump themselves up too.

Other Pacific island nations do perform their own versions, Samoa, Tonga, Fiji, but none are as belligerent as the Kiwi haka.

I've always wondered why Western hemisphere teams are not allowed to return the challenge by say, mooning the opposing team, as that would seem a totally culturally appropriate response.

I normally skip past the haka when I watch an All Black game. Just like national anthems, it's the same thing all over again and just delays the game for me.

Anyway, It seems the Kiwis do the haka not just in contests but for everything else: welcoming foreign dignitaries, greeting elders, weddings, funerals, retirement send-offs, etc. I assume they have different hakas for those.

Last edited:
Reactions: yanoJL and bullet08

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I know the modern All Blacks do it to lay down a challenge and to pump themselves up. I've heard players say that sometimes it pumps them up too much. Opposing teams use it to pump themselves up too.

Other Pacific island nations do perform their own versions, Samoa, Tonga, Fiji, but none are as belligerent as the Kiwi haka.

I've always wondered why Western hemisphere teams are not allowed to return the challenge by say, mooning the opposing team, as that would seem a totally culturally appropriate response.

I normally skip past the haka when I watch an All Black game. Just like national anthems, it's the same thing all over again and just delays the game for me.

Anyway, It seems the Kiwis do the haka not just in contests but for everything else: welcoming foreign dignitaries, greeting elders, weddings, funerals, retirement send-offs, etc. I assume they have different hakas for those.
Remind me of a Monty Python saying. "I will wiggle my private part in your general direction."

• Haha
Reactions: yanoJL