PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Tastes are funny things. I like so many tobaccos that are LIKE HD, but I decidedly do not Like HD. Weird.

rlunderhill

Can't Leave
Jan 10, 2012
I received my tin of Haddo Delight in the mail today. I couldn't wait to smoke some. I loaded up my Nording and was so disappointed with the lack of any flavor. I closed up the tin and put it with the others that didn't make the grade. I'll give it another try in a couple weeks.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Cool. I just acquired a small bit of Haddos and a hunk of jack knife. I can't wait! Sextant was my first GLP blend and it made me a believer!

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
I also got a tin of JKP and Haddo's Delight in trade recently (thank you Dervis)
I've come to the conclusion that I don't much like virginia based blends. Not quite sure what it is but the flavor doesn't sit well with me, pretty sure it's a potency issue.
BUT I won't be giving up on them entirely.
Thanks for the review, Pipe Novelist.

mattia76

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
I HATED Haddos for years after smoking a bowl from a new tin in 2008.

However, I've got some Haddo's from 2005 that is some of the best stuff on earth. Deeeeeelish! Age makes a huge difference indeed. Oh, and smoke it slow.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
IMO, Haddo's, Cairo, and Valle Crucis from Two Friends (Tarler & Pease) are all related by a ginger liqueur topping.

If you liked either Haddo's or Cairo, and want some Latakia in your bowl too, then try Valle Crucis. All 3 are very well done.

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
I've noticed that the flavor of Haddo's differs from pipe to pipe. I have 2 pipes that turn it into a super happy fun time. In the others it ranges from meh to blergh.

rlunderhill

Can't Leave
Jan 10, 2012
All things get better with age. I'll try Haddo's again in six months. I have some year old blends that a year ago didn't make the grade. But now, I'm amazed at how well they reformed themselves into a respectful smoke.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Cyndi, I haven't made it "to blergh" but I have had a couple of "meh" bowls of it.

My observations tell me that Haddo's Delight smokes best in pipes with wider bowls that have a very open draw.

Large bowls seem to allow the full flavor develop. IMHO

Smaller bowls seem to restrict the flavor in my experience.
:puffy:

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Cyndi, I haven't made it "to blergh" but I have had a couple of "meh" bowls of it.

My observations tell me that Haddo's Delight smokes best in pipes with wider bowls that have a very open draw.

Large bowls seem to allow the full flavor develop. IMHO

Smaller bowls seem to restrict the flavor in my experience.
:puffy:

waznyf

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Nice review man! Got my mouth watering for sure! It is being added to my TAD list.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Haddo's has always been in my top 3 vapers along with Bells Three Nuns and Escudo. It is one of the strongest blends in my rotation and it is definitely an after dinner smoke for me. I am down to my last 2 tins and it is time to reload. When I first started buying this blend it was only available in 2 oz tins, I am definitely going to go the bulk route on the next purchase.

rlunderhill

Can't Leave
Jan 10, 2012
I took the tin out and started to smoke it again. It's not a bad smoke after all. Aging it really helps bring out the nice smoothness of the blend. It will make the re-order list in time. I don't find this blend strong at all.

It's very relaxing and smokes cool and evenly down to the bottom of the bowl.
I smoked this in my biggest bowl pipe. Major difference.

jameral

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 29, 2011
San Mateo
I'm presently smoking my second bowl of Haddo's and it's kinda 'meh'! I'm definitely gonna try it in a bigger bowl next before I give it a rest and jar it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.