PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

maker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2018
I do remember there being issues with rusting from the inside. GL Pease tins from 10 years ago? Don't know when MC had the plastic liners in there

Reactions: seanv

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Grimpuffer, Did you even smoke the stuff before throwing it out? You do know that a certain amount of iron is good for you. Seriously, I have GL Pease Navigator tins that are bulging and when I open one it sounds like a shot gun went off. The tobacco has been perfect every time. Most of my cellar is full of tins as that was the only way they came, no bulk available which was great for me as I hate jars. They take up too much space and I have seen their red gaskets turn to dust after so many years. The only jars I will use are ones that have silicone gaskets.

In over 20 something years I have never had one tin lose it's seal. Didn't matter what kind, rectangle, square, round they have all help perfectly. I also store them at 74 degrees and a constant humidity level that works just great.

grimpuffer

Can't Leave
Aug 29, 2016
Grimpuffer, Did you even smoke the stuff before throwing it out? You do know that a certain amount of iron is good for you. Seriously, I have GL Pease Navigator tins that are bulging and when I open one it sounds like a shot gun went off. The tobacco has been perfect every time. Most of my cellar is full of tins as that was the only way they came, no bulk available which was great for me as I hate jars. They take up too much space and I have seen their red gaskets turn to dust after so many years. The only jars I will use are ones that have silicone gaskets.

In over 20 something years I have never had one tin lose it's seal. Didn't matter what kind, rectangle, square, round they have all help perfectly. I also store them at 74 degrees and a constant humidity level that works just great.

No, im not smoking it with the stuff that it had on it and the fact it was absolute bone dry. The McC I will try once I rehydrate it.

Like I said, all of these have been in a conditioned environment without temperature swings. To have 2 pop like that is just concerning given the age of them. I may never have another do that for the rest of my pipe smoking tenure, but now it will always be in the back of my mind. Im just like the rest of you, I want to cellar for the inevitable govt overreach and taxes that will keep coming for the tobacco consumer, but I also hate losing aged tins.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
No, im not smoking it with the stuff that it had on it and the fact it was absolute bone dry. The McC I will try once I rehydrate it.

Like I said, all of these have been in a conditioned environment without temperature swings. To have 2 pop like that is just concerning given the age of them. I may never have another do that for the rest of my pipe smoking tenure, but now it will always be in the back of my mind. Im just like the rest of you, I want to cellar for the inevitable govt overreach and taxes that will keep coming for the tobacco consumer, but I also hate losing aged tins.
If you smoked it and then croaked we could use you as an example of what not to smoke if you see that particular issue. You could have saved the lives of pipe smokers the world over. You could have taken one for the team and if you croaked we would create a monument to you. lol

grimpuffer

Can't Leave
Aug 29, 2016
If you smoked it and then croaked we could use you as an example of what not to smoke if you see that particular issue. You could have saved the lives of pipe smokers the world over. You could have taken one for the team and if you croaked we would create a monument to you. lol

Well, in that case, at least I’d be remembered for something ?

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
Fwiw I popped a tin of 1996 Mcranies not too long ago and the moisture level was perfect.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I vacuum sealed a few tins - only the special ones that I can never replace. For blends that are still sold and can easily be obtained again, I just store em in a cool dark area and hope for the best. Still got some bulgers that make me a little nervous, but I've no issues yet.

I have a tin from 1974, not sure why I didn’t just jar it right away, but I’m starting to feel like, I need to either vacuum seal this thing now, or jar it.

2C9D10C2-D2B0-4216-A27C-4647B2849B2E.jpeg

Reactions: AppalachianPipe92

TexJake

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2022
Hill Country, TX
Not sure this helps anyone, but as another data point… opened this tin a couple of days ago. June 2021 date on tin, rust/oxidation on the inside edge of the tin almost 100% of the way around, and stained the seal under the lid. Not really bad, certainly seen worse, and the important part is that the tobacco smokes fine, but seems to lend weight to the manufacturers saying that their tins aren’t made for long term storage. It certainly seems like plenty of tins have made it just fine for many years, but idk if this particular one would’ve…
530253D3-9F1A-4F73-8978-264A670CDE72.jpeg

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Not sure this helps anyone, but as another data point… opened this tin a couple of days ago. June 2021 date on tin, rust/oxidation on the inside edge of the tin almost 100% of the way around, and stained the seal under the lid. Not really bad, certainly seen worse, and the important part is that the tobacco smokes fine, but seems to lend weight to the manufacturers saying that their tins aren’t made for long term storage. It certainly seems like plenty of tins have made it just fine for many years, but idk if this particular one would’ve…
View attachment 161648
Well, it's a square tin...

Reactions: PipeIT

grimpuffer

Can't Leave
Aug 29, 2016
View attachment 161648

I have some HH Rustica that I think I am just going to open and throw in a jar.

I’ve heard square tins are worse for cellaring than any of the others.

I also doubt that the rustica will really change all that much from cellaring