PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Misanthrope

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2020
Texas
So...I’m not really a cigar guy by nature, but I tried a cigar today for the first time. It was a Drew Estates MUWAT KFC Pony, which I was told I’d probably like because I was partial to Drum rollies and Stokkebye Amsterdam in pipes. I have mixed feelings about the experience.

The unlit smell was a little alarming, it reminded me a bit of the English blends from Tinderbox that ended up in the trash by the third puff. Deep, earthy, asphalty, a bit BO-ey. In contrast, Drum and Stokkebye Amsterdam don’t have that offputting character, so I assume it came from the wrapper or binder.

Unlit draw was less English and more KFC-ish, woody and smokey, which I found reassuring.

Toasted the foot, got it properly lit, and let it settle down. The taste was a bit weird, mostly burning hair and the bag note of Snausages. I found this pretty disappointing, but persevered.

Got to the last 1.5 inches, still tastes like burning hair and Snausages, and hasn’t really come anywhere near the same zip code as the KFC I’m used to in rolling and pipe tobaccos. I’m not as into it as I thought I’d be.

Is this normal? Are there other KFC cigars that are more like what I’d be expecting?

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I think cigars aren't any different than pipes in that it takes time to train the sense of taste to pick up their flavours and nuances. Up to you if you wanna catch a ride on that train. As my local tobacconist said: it's (a whole different) another world!

Misanthrope

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2020
Texas
I think cigars aren't any different than pipes in that it takes time to train the sense of taste to pick up their flavours and nuances. Up to you if you wanna catch a ride on that train. As my local tobacconist said: it's (a whole different) another world!

Right, yeah, that makes sense. I guess I wasn’t expecting to have to re-learn that after already getting to the point where I can pick out individual base notes in pipe tobaccos.

subsalac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 9, 2018
The unlit smell was a little alarming, it reminded me a bit of the English blends from Tinderbox that ended up in the trash by the third puff.

I think that cigar( I haven't had it, so excuse the snobbery) is likely at or near the range of those tinderbox blends, in cigar terms. I'd start with something inexpensive but easily approachable, like 5 Vegas(give the "Gold" and the "Triple A" a try). Should be between a buck to two bucks if you can get them in online auctions, and they cover a broad range since one is a simple but good connecticut, and the other is a savory and chocolatey maduro. It should be enough info to know if cigars are worth pursuing. Good luck :)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like Dominicans. It seems you have to spend about ten bucks to get an enticing cigar these days. Did cheap ones used to taste much better, or was it youthful innocence? I wouldn't cultivate cigar smoking, since for the price of two good cigars, you can get a tin of premium pipe tobacco that gives you twenty smokes. You don't have to be Scottish to appreciate that calculation.

Reactions: Country Bladesmith

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My favorite cigar leaf blend is Billy Budd, because the cigar leaf doesn't point to itself; it just makes a pleasing contribution. Also, you can get condiment cigar leaf that also smokes well by itself, cigar leaf from Cornell & Diehl, for one example. You can add it to number of other tobaccos or blends. Don't expect a cigar experience; just enjoy it as a pipe tobacco.

Reactions: Country Bladesmith

peacepiper85

Lurker
Nov 19, 2019
My favorite cigar leaf blend is Billy Budd, because the cigar leaf doesn't point to itself; it just makes a pleasing contribution. Also, you can get condiment cigar leaf that also smokes well by itself, cigar leaf from Cornell & Diehl, for one example. You can add it to number of other tobaccos or blends. Don't expect a cigar experience; just enjoy it as a pipe tobacco.
Ok sounds good-thanks!

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I’m with you OP.
I enjoy Dark fired Kentucky as condiment and also when blended with a heavy hand.

I tried smoking a MUWAT a couple years ago and threw it over the fence after about 3 minutes of puffing.

Status
Not open for further replies.