H.L. Savory & Co. Ltd. Pipes as Smokers?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Cleaning is coming along.

The bowl and rim when I bought it:

5Y7u6BT.jpg

The bowl and rim today:

M7igD40.jpg

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
jguss mentioned he believed the foundation date of 1885 for Savory pipes was exaggerated. In doing research, I found that the first trademark for H.L. Savory & Co. tobacco pipes was Jan. 1, 1886. Interestingly, the trademark didn't expire until 1993.

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
I added another Savory's Semi-Matte to my stable today, and it's the prettiest one so far (second from the bottom). From the top, we've got: Semi-Matte, Argyll, Argyll, Argyll, Semi-Matte, Argyll. All are stamped Made in England or Made in London, England. All except one have the original Savory's logo on the stem, which differs from the logo on pappymac's pipe above. I haven't tried the new one yet, but the others are absolutely outstanding smokers, and they have the most comfortable stems I've ever come across. Most of these were in very rough shape when I got them. Total cost for these six pipes was considerably less than a single new budget Savinelli.

Stem detail on the prince (good for a chuckle, with the top of the Savory's "S" still visible):

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Time to resurrect this thread because I'm not sure what I have.

Made an antique shop find for $25 today. At first I thought it was a Stanwell because of the Crown over the letter S on the stem. Then I saw "Made in London" over England so I knew it wasn't a Stanwell. (At least, I've never heard of a Stanwell being made in England.) I'm guessing that this is a Savory of some kind. The only other marking is the shape code 283 though.
What do you guys think?

RTy3oep.jpg

NNaCMHl.jpg

uP5EzWi.jpg

wz4IXwv.jpg

It was smoked hard, but looks like it will clean up nicely.

5Y7u6BT.jpg
That guys seems like my kind of smoker! Beautiful cake work on that!

Reactions: Pipe Daddy

Pipe Daddy

Might Stick Around
Oct 16, 2019
Here is my Savory Semi-Matte Canadian stamped 831. Would like any info you guys have about it. Smokes great and I enjoy it!

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
Nice one! I've only seen apples and billiards in the Semi-Matte line, so that shape's new to me. I don't have much to add to what was written above, and I certainly can't attest to the veracity of any of that either. I've seen one Semi-Matte apple on eBay pictured with the original box (maybe from the 60s-70s, judging from the fonts and colors), and it featured "Distributed in the USA by Dunhill" prominently on the front of the box. My Semi-Mattes are absolutely killer pipes. Not lookers any more (they put in a lot of service over the decades before I got them), but still incredible smoking machines. They have my favorite stems of any pipe I've ever tried - super thin, very comfortable fishtails with absolutely perfect buttons (to my taste). And the draw is fantastic on both. To be honest, they're much better smokers than my GBDs or Charatan. I've got a Savory's Argyll Canadian that I love, but now that I know they exist, I must have a Semi Matte Canadian as well!

KGV

Lurker
Feb 6, 2020
besides the shitty fills.. a good smoking pipe I'm sure.

I saw that one too.. why is it green and orange? is that what made it "robin hood" ?
That what I am trying to figure that out. La early in this thread someone posted a list of best to worst. And the robinhood is second on the list

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I doubt that's accurate. They are simply different finish lines IMO. Not sure where that came from?

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
What do you mean second thoughts of smoking it? It’s not a highly collectible pipe but it’s a nice pipe and Savory’s are usually excellent smokers.

I like it too and saw it a week ago or more but the fills kind of put me off and they looked a bit odd to me. I bet if you wax the pipe they would be less noticeable. You’ll have some oxidation to work off the stem ?

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Status
Not open for further replies.