PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
From the pipesandcigars web site comes the description:

Over the last couple of years, we've gotten a number of requests for a strong and robust blend with full depth and body. We've gone through about eight different versions until we put together the iteration that we now call Steamroller. It's an appropriate name, as this is the strongest pipe blend we have ever made. Rich and toasty red Virginia is married with two different types of darker Burleys, some unflavored black Cavendish to take the edge off, and a bit of Latakia and Perique for depth of flavor and zest. For those of you who enjoyed Five Brothers and the unscented Lakeland blends for their power and richness, Steamroller will be right up your alley.
On opening the bag I found a nice rather coarse cut tobacco with a range of color from golden brown to black. The aroma was tobacco. Nice natural smelling tobacco. Reminiscent of some of those lovely old time geezer blends that sadly are now long gone.
Without further ado I grabbed up a bit, shoved it in a clay and applied a match. OH MY!! Being quite dry straight from the bag I didn't need a relight and was rewarded by the sweetness of the Virginia tobacco bolstered by the strength and nutty flavor of the Burleys. Someplace in there just at the edge of perception were the Latakia and Perique.
To me this was a wonderfully smooth satisfying smoke. It brought memories Of Grandpa and Aunt Ollie, both of whom tended to smoke stuff that would put down a lame horse. I am not great at detecting room note but leaving the room to grab a cup of coffee and coming back I must say was not unpleasant at all.
While definitely not light in the vitamin N department this is a superb smooth smoke.
Having smoked this blend several times since I received my order I can recommend it highly. Strong yes. Flavorful though and if used with proper respect a wonderful addition to the cellar.

bowhatchie

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 27, 2010
Uncle... your killing me... now I have to buy another blend.. I have purchased several based on you recommendations... and I have not been unhappy yet.. so I am assuming your astute palate will make me just as happy with this choice.... I am in... ordering on my next acquisition...

duncan

Jul 28, 2010
New Jersey
I also have about an ounce of this and would have to say it is "not bad". This is not one for me to cellar, but would not decline a bowlfull if offered. It had a decent kick of N, nothing to passout over though.

bowhatchie

Sep 27, 2010
Duncan.. You need to be smoking VERY MILD aromatics.. so you can do well in your mileage challenge!!!! Just pulling your leg of course...

duncan

Jul 28, 2010
New Jersey
LOL, yeah it is a 24hr Tobacco free event. THE HORROR!!!! I will be power smoking up till the start and try to ride the N train till the end.

clanobucklin

Jan 19, 2010
Steamroller is a very full and spicy smoke that I enjoy every once in awhile. If I am looking for a heavy latakia blend I smoke Boswell's Northwoods, Pipeworks and Wilke #400 or Rich's Nighttime or Old Fashioned 759. I think Steamroller is still in its infancy and will develop in time. (I started smoking Steamroller last year while Russ was tinkering on it - I liked the initial blend better - this one has a lot of perique). The initial couple ounces I got had a very large mouthfeel that was awesome.)

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
I just this morning added Steamroller to LTR:

http://luxurytobaccoreviews.com/t/hearth--home-steamroller
Can all of you guys post these reviews over there, please?
I'll be your best friend!

Status
Not open for further replies.