PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
I received a 7 oz. tin of this a few days ago and right away loaded up a Nording. Out of the tin the moisture level was just right. It's called a kake but looks more like broken flakes and breaks up with ease. WOW, what a winner. I've since ordered a few more 7 oz. tins and will be transferring to Mason jars for the cellar.
Nutty sweetness/goodness from the Burley tobaccos with a faint hint of anise/coca in the background. Smoking this has put all other blends on hold for awhile. If you like Burley blends you owe it to yourself not to miss out on this. Give it a try. Thanks Russ!!
Description:
Classic Burley Kake is a new blend that pays homage to old-time Burley flakes and cakes. Using Tennessee and Kentucky Burleys, ranging from lighter white to darker mahogany, and a bit of matured red Virginia, this sliced cake tobacco is a traditional American-style blend. We start with four different types of Burley, the aforementioned Tennessee and Kentucky, plus two different premium white Burleys. Then we add a red Virginia for a maple-like sweetness. Then we use all-natural flavors- cocoa, rum and anise and steam the tobaccos with the flavorings and firmly press and slice it. The aroma is mellow and pleasant, and the taste is lightly sweet with a large volume of smoke. Hearken back to a simpler time when the sight of a pipe in someone's mouth while walking down the street was common, and the scent of pipe tobacco was everywhere.
1969151_10151965131191966_1552253399_n.jpg

1796863_10151965131631966_373246554_o.jpg

mike73

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 20, 2013
I have a few ounces of this that I jarred up and will come back to later. Burly based blends just taste plain to me at the moment. I do not ever detect that "nutty" taste to them. I do love Anniversary and Marble Kake from Russ. Great stuff. Glad to hear you enjoyed this. Your right up on it was great.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
CBK was one of the first H&H blends that I ever tried.
While I did enjoy it, I consider it to be an aromatic and have found many others from H&H that I enjoy more.
When my first batch was running low, I combined the last 2 oz of CBK with 2 oz of AK and 1 oz Louisiana Red.
After a few months jarred I recently tried this mix and was quite pleased.

robusthermit

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 9, 2012
I am a big fan of Burley Kake. I have been smoking mostley burley blends for the past year or so and this is the only H&H blend that has been in my rotation. It has become my morning smoke because the nicotine content is moderate compared to some of the blends I smoke.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I do not ever detect that "nutty" taste to them.

Ever tried a burley in a cob? I find it's much easier to detect with whatever flavor the cob imparts in the smoke versus a briar.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
This is one of my favorite brands,a friend sent me some that he had and did't like. Now is one of my go to's. Odd thing is at P&C it's actually cheaper by pound in the tin than bulk? The tins are 8oz, 2 at 18 bucks=36.00. 16oz in bulk 37.92. Strange!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I think it's really good too. I like it even more since I cut it 50/50 with C&D's White blending Burley

because the cocoa flavor was a little too distracting. Now it is just a flavor nuance in the blend.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Cortez: I found the cocoa flavor a little less strong in a cob. Have you tried that?

mike73

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 20, 2013
Spartan I have. Not giving up on burley just haven't got it yet.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Cortez: I found the cocoa flavor a little less strong in a cob. Have you tried that?
No, it never occurred to me. Lately I've found cobs to be much more enjoyable since I got an after market stem,

so I'll have to try it with my supply of unadulterated Burley Kake. Thanks for the tip.

lawmax3

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2013
I have tried it and it is a pretty decent smoke. I prefer va-pers but it is nice for something different

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
I have recently been smoking a sample of Boswell's Premium Burley and yesterday picked up a sample of C&D Crooner. Looks like I have another Burley to add to the list to try. Thanks!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I was born liking burley. My dad chain smoked Granger in a pipe. So this review makes my mouth water.

I wrote it down. My only problem is, I have so many tobaccos open, and others yet to open, jarred, etc.

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
I guess being raised and still living in Kentucky makes me a tad partial to Burley!
I do not ever detect that "nutty" taste to them.
Ever tried a burley in a cob? I find it's much easier to detect with whatever flavor the cob imparts in the smoke versus a briar.
Spartan, agreed! & as Cortez mentioned I have also updated a few of my cobs with bamboo shanks and after market stems.

Status
Not open for further replies.