PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
If no doubt helps to dry out tobacco but the real answer is years and years of practice.

If you smoke three bowls a day for a year that’s about a thousand bowls. Do that for ten or twenty years and it’s second nature. You pipe isn’t going to gurgle.

A few years ago a young man asked me how to sing The Great Speckled Bird like I did.

My answer was to sing it a thousand times then sing it another thousand, and that’s a good start.:)

Some things are learned.

Reactions: Briar Tuck

Seeleybc1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 29, 2022
Palmer AK
In my (again very short time) messing around with pipes and tobacco, I’ve noticed that there are many, many variables that could affect how a pipe smokes, moisture build up, etc. As has already been said, the specific tobacco, how it’s packed, and manner in which its smoked are huge factors. But even things like ambient temperature seem to be affecting moisture levels for me. Up here in AK its obviously cold this time of year, and I’ve either been smoking a pipe in the garage sitting where it’s warm, or on an evening walk. I haven’t had any gurgling problems really, but the moisture level noticed when cleaning in the pipe after a walk outside is noticeably more than the same pipe and tobacco smoked in the much warmer garage. Just more water Vapor/condensation I suppose. And in walking, my cadence is undoubtedly different, probably less controlled and faster than when sitting.

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
When I first started I had that issue. You might try a balsa filter pipe. That cleared it right up for me. After a time I realized I no longer had the issue with or without a balsa filter.