PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simplicity

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 20, 2020
Michigan
What started out as a single pipe this past June has grown to 11 now. Something about the brand and the history is fascinating to me. The pipes, all of them, are fantastic smokers. I have to throw big credit to @Ahi Ka for finding 5 estates and cleaning them up for trade. He really does excellent work. My most recent finds are the two sitting on sleeves I received today, the Lovat is a Straight Grain and the other is a Special Grain. I also received the Loewe tin today. Anyone else have that 'one' brand for which they are always searching?

image0 (10).jpeg

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
Keep your eye out for sandblasted pipes, they did a really nice job on their blasts and finishes.

18542981-orig.jpg

18542983-orig.jpg

Simplicity

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 20, 2020
Michigan
Keep your eye out for sandblasted pipes, they did a really nice job on their blasts and finishes.

18542981-orig.jpg

18542983-orig.jpg

I haven't seen many of their sandblasted pieces come up at all. Actually, only two that I remember. There is one on SPC, but it is paneled and not a fan of that style. I seen one other at the Danish Pipe Shop, a sandblasted spigot from the 1920's, but it was gone by the time I tried to put it in my cart.

Reactions: donjgiles

Simplicity

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 20, 2020
Michigan
Man this thread is an enabler. Here I am trying to study and I somehow end up taking pictures of pipes and loading a bowl of University flake.

Here’s my only Loewe. A hallmark from 1910. I still can’t figure out the shape though.

View attachment 51021

Such a classic shape and that logo in the case is so clear after all these year. Awesome!

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
I just picked up a bowl with no stem. Stamped Loewe Cutlass. The shank is a bit malformed. I do not know if it is worth sending out for professional repair or just use the stem I turned the tenon for and make it work. The bowl seems of very nice quality. 1st Loewe I have seen in person with a car name. Very cool.

20201112_174130.jpg

20201112_174200.jpg

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I just picked up a bowl with no stem. Stamped Loewe Cutlass. The shank is a bit malformed.
I know the Loewe Rhodes (bulldog) came with a tapered bit however I’m not sure if the line extended into the shank. If so, that could explain the malformed look?

Smoke it bro. And if you find you love it, then get a stem made in the future

Reactions: peteguy

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
At this point in my collecting there isn't much that I'm still looking for. My primary focus has been Barling, with pipes ranging from 1882 to the 1970's. As for other Britwood, I have an assortment of Sasienis. Leeds era Ben Wades, Comoys, and Dunhills, though I don't often smoke the Dunhills anymore. Loewes are great pipes from what I've heard.
Aside from the Britwood, I have a group of Kaywoodies from the 1920's through mid '30's, and there are a few American artisan carvers I've collected, like Lee Von Erck, Paul Tatum, and Scottie Piersel.

Status
Not open for further replies.