PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
You guys have me very tempted to crack my tin. Unfortunately I'm sitting on a dozen opened tins that I would like to finish before cracking a new one. Who knows.... Being a Virginia blend, how well does it hold up to aging?

gray4lines

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 6, 2012
KY
I couldn't resist, i had to pop the tin open. There is a very lemon, floral note. It reminded me of two things: stick your nose in a fresh christmas tree and breathe in. Almost a pine and fresh zest to it. And second, a good seafood entree of a white fish, not fishy, but lemon and rosemary.
May sound crazy, but its very different from anything ive had so far. Very much worth trying.

sergemoat

Can't Leave
Oct 15, 2011
I've got a jar of this sitting in my cellar. Tried two bowls, first was terrible reminded me of that 'old lady perfume' smell, you know, the one that stings your nose and burns your eyes. A few months later I packed another pipe and it was bearable, so maybe the next time I try this blend I might find it more enjoyable.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Just opened a fresh tin the other day. Love the tin note, but the smoke was a bit sharp and cigarettish. I was prepared to absolutely love this blend (I'm a big fan of Ennerdale), but the flavor came off a bit thin. I really liked what flavor I got, but felt I just wasn't getting very much of the essences in particular -- I think I got the VA's coming through OK.
What sort of technique and/or pipe sizes seem to work best with Grousemoor?
Also, I know Lawrence is a big fan -- what kind of pipe and pace do you use?

morton

Part of the Furniture Now
May 3, 2012
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
When I first cracked a tin of Grousemoor, I was astonished at the smell. It smelled like lemon pledge to me and I immediately PMed Lawrence to ask him. "what is up with that?" He patiently explained the whys and wherefores - dry it well, smoke slow in a fair sized bowl etc. Its been in a glass jar now for awhile and once a month or so, I will try some again. It has taken my awhile to wrap my head around this stuff and although it might not ever crack my top five, I kinda like it. Like Lawrence said at the time - its been around for 200 years, give it a chance, you might learn to like it.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
dry it well, smoke slow in a fair sized bowl etc.
Thanks, morton. I'll try that next time. My first couple of smokes were in a smallish bowl (group 3?) and fresh from the tin (i.e., moist). As you say, it's one of the oldest blends on the planet -- that alone is incentive to try to like it.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
+1 on fairly dry and smoking slow. For me, Grousemoor smokes best out of my Pete African Meer System and my Pete Belgique. Tried it in a bulldog ( wide shallow bowl ) and it didn't taste so well.

The Meer also intensifies the Nic effect of this blend for me, seems to pack a sneaky wallop ....

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Thanks, rcstan. The meer vs. the belgique -- aren't those very differently sized bowls? Maybe I'll stay away from bulldogs and pots, then. I know the belgique is narrow -- what about your meer? Maybe narrow is the ticket.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
pitchfork, the Belgique is narrow and rather very small-bowled, maybe a Dunhill Gp 2, only holds about 0,5 grams of baccy.
The meer is about a Gp 3-4 and has a still fairly narrow bowl, sort of a narrow apple.
001-600x450.jpg

003.jpg

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Wow, those are pretty. I love the look of that style of Peterson (with the rounded silver mount). Is the meer a system, also? Very cool pipes. Thanks for sharing the pics.
EDIT: I should learn to read more carefully. Yep, you said it was a system, already -- must smoke extra dry, then.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Grousemoor is fantastic stuff! Just tried it in a bigger bowl and dried out a bit. Much, much better results. Love the flavorings and the VA's are very good. Thanks again for the advice on technique, everyone^^ .

Status
Not open for further replies.