PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
"I say we resurrect The Monkey Wrench Gang."
It is my understanding that once "Medicare For All" is accomplished, the next target is the nationalization of the tobacco farms. So I'm boning up on my Woody Guthrie. Every Man A King is what I always say.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
"Argue with them, if you disagree with them."
I went one better and called them on the phone. Hoosierpipeguy got it right when he said that it was not one thing that prompted their exit from the business. Certainly there aren't any other pipe tobacco companies who have quit the business recently (Dunhill Pipe Tobacco isn't a company, it is a brand owned by BAT), so to attribute the McNiel's decision to the government is highly misplaced. Social Engineering has nothing to do with it.
Mike and Mary are getting up in years and wanted to have an enjoyable retirement while they still could. They deserve that, and more. The FDA rules, sourcing tobacco and a myriad of other changes in the industry had taken a lot of the fun out of it for them, but in the end, Mike's bad back, and the fact that he was Ooompah Loompah #1 in the Wonka Tobacco factory, was probably the deciding factor.
But don't take my word for it, call them up. Mary is wonderful person. Perhaps one of the warmest, most patient, knowledgeable and gracious people in the entire industry. Eric Stokkebye comes in a close second, but he's still running a successful pipe tobacco company.

http://fairtradetobacco.com/ is one forum that is a great place to start. I haven't been active in a long time, and I am sure that any posts that I made were asking questions from a pipe smokers perspective concerning Virginias, and just didn't know the jargon that growers use, which is really different from what we know from forum and tin labels.
I would suggest starting with an easy to grow burley, and you'll get a nice starter crop without having to build a flue or any special kilns. If you like what you get, then play around with flue curing. But, you'll have to learn a new set of ways to look at tobacco.
But, with burleys you can play around with toasting or cavendishes or making your own twists. It's a great starter, IMO.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Do not forget that it is the voting electorate that is doing the "social engineering." There are a lot of "single issue" voters supporting well funded and organized groups out there and ... more than a few are members here. The American Cancer Society has been working its magic since before most here were born. I'm not sure why so many are not willing to shoulder any of the blame for the "fix" we smokers find ourselves in. Granted the youngsters here are simply getting the brunt of the success of the anti-tobacco people. Even the tobacco companies saw the writing on the wall years ago and either sold out or expanded into other areas.
https://finetobacconyc.com/2018/03/...ompany-makers-legendary-pipe-tobaccos-closes/
Reread the above and parse it carefully. Also, you might wish to find and read "woodsroad's" post regarding his personal interaction with the owner of McClelland. Then you can do, as many of us here have, usually more than once or twice, a "mea culpa". This is usually done while wearing sackcloth, rubbing one's toe in the dirt with one's eyes cast respectfully downward, while tugging one's forelock.

5star

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
IMO a large percentage of laws are written to benefit very narrow economic interests. It’s usually about the Money, no matter what p.r. cover story is floated. This has happened in many industries.
It seems to me that the best approach to DIY regarding pipe tobacco, is to keep one’s efforts as small & low key as possible. If wanting to leverage one’s talents & resources, perhaps a few friends might also get involved. I know almost nothing about the details of growing & processing pipe tobacco. But, people have been doing so for a very long time. - - Like in beer brewing, the goal is not to construct a commercial scale producer, it’s to make something you would enjoy tasting.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
And yet another thread that 1) makes me happy I started cellaring McC blends just soon enough to get a modest stash, and 2) keeps me motivated to buy my favorite currently available blends in amounts I can afford.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
They did not close the doors due to lack of interest, but rather because of the loss of traditional tobacco aging techniques and, consequently, the unavailability of the high-quality leaf that defined their products.
I talked to Mike at some length just last night. 40+ years of back-breaking physical labor is what brought the company to an end. Everything else you might hear from the grapevine just confirmed that the decision was the right one.
In that case, you might ask, why did HE keep loading the machines, shifting the press contents, running the cutters, and all the rest? Because mistakes in that business have a massive domino effect, there's no rewind button, and hired help couldn't be counted on solidly enough to let 'em take the wheel. Not for a perfectionist like him, anyway.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Let's all have some Christmas Cheer.....too soon?
It's never too soon.
img_20171225_011939.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.