Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Flatfish, you don't have to fit any Welsh stereotypes. I walk the line in terms of a singing voice. If I'd made efforts when I was young, I might have sung a good choir bass, but I didn't, so I confine myself to singing in church and one effort in a pick-up choir to sing outdoors in front of the courthouse for some occasion I can't remember, which I enjoyed. But I don't get recruited for choirs, I notice. My one effort to sing for a woman friend when I was single drew from her a noble refraining from laughter. My piece was, "Somewhere A Place For Us," from "Sound of Music." Never again. Although my wife likes to sing with me. That's enough singing for me.

Reactions: dunnyboy

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
i think I just like things and hobbies that are "old fashioned" for want of a better word.
Sailing, reading, fountain pens, pocket watches. I don't really embrace new technology. Analogue and steam power over electric and digital any day

My interest in pipes was born of a similar nostalgia.
I said for years that I would not smoke, but that if I did, it would be a pipe.
Well, I've been pipe smoking for 13 or 14 years now.

I've found that my sentiments about these sorts of things are not as universal in the pipe smoking cosmos as I might have anticipated. Not uncommon, but far from universal.

If you have any particular questions which you'd like to direct to a fellow old-soul, don't hesitate to PM.

P.S. My wife just got me started on fountain pens, this Christmas. She knows me better than I know myself. Bless her.

Flatfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 20, 2022
West Wales
My interest in pipes was born of a similar nostalgia.
I said for years that I would not smoke, but that if I did, it would be a pipe.
Well, I've been pipe smoking for 13 or 14 years now.

I've found that my sentiments about these sorts of things are not as universal in the pipe smoking cosmos as I might have anticipated. Not uncommon, but far from universal.

If you have any particular questions which you'd like to direct to a fellow old-soul, don't hesitate to PM.

P.S. My wife just got me started on fountain pens, this Christmas. She knows me better than I know myself. Bless her.
I have quite a few Jinhao X750.
matt black is my favourite. I had swopped the nibs for Bock nibs. Lovely pens and ridiculously cheap.

Reactions: SBC

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
I have quite a few Jinhao X750.
matt black is my favourite. I had swopped the nibs for Bock nibs. Lovely pens and ridiculously cheap.
Lovely! I was given a Jinhao X750 and a Sailor Compass 1911.
I'd like to get 1.5mm nibs on them, as I'm interested to learn calligraphy.
I see that I can put any #6 nib on the Jinhao (I really don't know what I'm talking about, yet -- I'm just parroting what I'm hearing). But I'm not sure yet whether I can switch out the Sailor nib.

Anyway, I know a good deal more about pipes (and pipe smoking); feel free to ask any exploratory questions you may find helpful!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Welcome!

Please put your location in your Profile, as people are forgetful.
Why:
That will save questions in the future as to where you live when you later mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc. In many instances that saves time for those who read your posts. It cuts down on posts or PMs asking where you are.
How:
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. province, etc.

Flatfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 20, 2022
West Wales
Welcome!

Please put your location in your Profile, as people are forgetful.
Why:
That will save questions in the future as to where you live when you later mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc. In many instances that saves time for those who read your posts. It cuts down on posts or PMs asking where you are.
How:
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. province, etc.
Done. ?

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Bwana Kiko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 27, 2021
Uganda
Welcome from Uganda.

West Wales... I went to Uni in Aberystwyth. Fond memories.

One insight for you: I smoke a pipe to slow myself down in a world that is always rushing me. Everyone needs that. It doesn't have to be a pipe, but a pipe is one great way of doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.