PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

brooklynpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2018
I also thought Cahokia first, right or wrong. Though with the migratory lifestyle then I guess you could say Cahokia was either the first city or the first Woodstock.

Reactions: Jamcdon1961

JackOrion

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2023
West Yonkers California
Greetings from West Yonkers, CA.
Well…… it’s not really ‘West Yonkers’ but eventually I’m going to start a petition to have my towns name switched to West Yonkers so I’m just calling it that now.

Reactions: Jamcdon1961

brooklynpiper

May 8, 2018
Could you please give a brief story of "Cahokia"?

I only know from school, so the consensus could very well have changed by now with more modern research techniques, but I was taught that there was some uncertainty around Cahokia's estimates in population between a full time local population vs a gathering hub for surrounding regional populations for interval religious/cultural events.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I only know from school, so the consensus could very well have changed by now with more modern research techniques, but I was taught that there was some uncertainty around Cahokia's estimates in population between a full time local population vs a gathering hub for surrounding regional populations for interval religious/cultural events.
Thanks, but although I think I am reasonably educated, never heard of Cahokia.
When did he live, and where? What type of estimates did he make?

• Haha
Reactions: brooklynpiper

brooklynpiper

May 8, 2018
Oh golly the mods are pulling my leg.

1697651838313.png

Cahokia was an insurance adjuster with a heavily ghosted pipe. He made roofing estimates and smoked Mississippi River until it was all out. We can only speculate as to where he lived, what else he did, and what he thought about Plum Pudding, Potlatch and the like.