Greetings from the greater Cincinnati area (US)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Vespa

Lurker
Nov 7, 2022
Hello. I'm new to pipes, although I did own one ages ago. I jumped into this pool and decided learning to swim might be a good idea.

I purchased an inexpensive, but seemingly well-reviewed Whitlock pipe (with accessories) from Amazon. I followed this up by unintentionally purchasing enough tobacco to last a very long time. I purchased a fair number of 2-ounce bulk bags while researching blends to learn about options, not realizing how long it would last. A Boveda humidor bag is on the way, which will hopefully help keep the tobacco I have from going bad.

As mentioned, I'm now trying to actually learn what I'm doing - a process I'm familiar with, having recently arrived (within the past few years) very late to the straight razor and sharpening parties - rabbit holes that seemingly have no bottom. I'm now looking at estate pipes on eBay, while hoping that I've not ruined the one I have (I knew nothing about breaking in pipes, allowing them to rest, etc.).

I look forward to browsing the information here and learning more about this interest. At least enough to keep my head above water, make somewhat informed decisions (well, less terrible ones) and enjoy the hobby more.

What else do I enjoy? Riding and working on vintage motorcycles (those things often go hand-in-hand). Thinking about getting a bit of space - Obtaining a large piece of land and building a home (who doesn't want to get away from time to time?). Odds, ends and errata.

Thanks.

ARTOPUT

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 25, 2022
Bonners Ferry, Idaho
Hello. I'm new to pipes, although I did own one ages ago. I jumped into this pool and decided learning to swim might be a good idea.

I purchased an inexpensive, but seemingly well-reviewed Whitlock pipe (with accessories) from Amazon. I followed this up by unintentionally purchasing enough tobacco to last a very long time. I purchased a fair number of 2-ounce bulk bags while researching blends to learn about options, not realizing how long it would last. A Boveda humidor bag is on the way, which will hopefully help keep the tobacco I have from going bad.

As mentioned, I'm now trying to actually learn what I'm doing - a process I'm familiar with, having recently arrived (within the past few years) very late to the straight razor and sharpening parties - rabbit holes that seemingly have no bottom. I'm now looking at estate pipes on eBay, while hoping that I've not ruined the one I have (I knew nothing about breaking in pipes, allowing them to rest, etc.).

I look forward to browsing the information here and learning more about this interest. At least enough to keep my head above water, make somewhat informed decisions (well, less terrible ones) and enjoy the hobby more.

What else do I enjoy? Riding and working on vintage motorcycles (those things often go hand-in-hand). Thinking about getting a bit of space - Obtaining a large piece of land and building a home (who doesn't want to get away from time to time?). Odds, ends and errata.

Thanks.
Welcome from North Idaho, Lots of good information here to help you along.

Reactions: Vespa

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
Hello and welcome from West Virginia. One thing you will learn about us pipe smokers is that we like to complicate things: we have to clean this, we have to rotate that, we can only smoke smoke this if the moon is full etc. etc. The thing to do is smoke your pipe the way it makes you happy with whatever tobacco that satisfies you. If it works for you, then it is the right way to do it.

Reactions: Vespa and jpmcwjr

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome aboard from central North Carolina. I like Cinci and Covington, Skyline Chili, the Ohio River, the Ohio Bookshop, and the Covington Pied Piper clock.

Reactions: Vespa and jpmcwjr

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA

Thanks.
putting the tobacco in a jar like a mason jar will keep it good for longer then anyone on this forum will live.

Reactions: jmsmitty6 and Vespa