PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

beltrus

Lurker
Oct 1, 2018
I am new to pipes, but have been smoking cigars for a long time. Here to learn about the inside tips and tricks, as I appear to have issues with packing.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think you mean "my kind of town, Chicago is." Grew up in Chicago land. Went to school at UI Navy Pier and Westside Congress Campus, whatever's it's called now, before transferring to U.Mo. Columbia. Welcome aboard.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Welcome beltrus!....

I came over from cigars too, and packing gave me the most trouble.....

Don't pack your pipe tight, like a cigar is rolled, pack it MUCH looser than you think you should. After lighting, you can GENTLY tamp to get the burn right..

takes a bit of practice, but persevere........... it will come!............ :puffy:

brooklynpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2018
Welcome to the boards.

This is what I do: drop tobacco in the bowl, use the tamper thinking you are just trying to knock the air out of the tobacco, throw some more tobacco in, use the tamper again a little harder, as if you were applying just the bare minimum amount of pressure to knock the air out of risen dough.
You'll probably be fine after that, depending on the bowl you might add a little more and tamp it again, but it should always be light.
The three step tamping isn't soft, medium, hard but lightest, lighter, light.

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
If you're in the city, head downtown to Iwan Ries. They'll make the time to show you anything you need to know about smoking a pipe, and it's an amazing place besides.
If that's not convenient to your location or schedule, make contact with the Chicagoland Pipe Collectors Club. They have - generally speaking - one official and one social meeting every month at different tobacconists in the suburbs where folks come to talk pipes and tobaccos. They also host the largest pipe show in The Americas every year in May.
If _that's_ not good for ya'. PM me. I live on the northwest side and am always happy to meet up to share a pipe with someone.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Welcome to the forums!
You've already seen how helpful this forum is. One thing to keep in mind as well is that pipe smoking is very individual. What works great for me might not for you. Packing and cadence (your breathing) have to be learned.
Ask any questions you have!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
If you dry your tobacco sufficiently, you'll have little or no problem loading the pipe and smoking it. Slow cadence, occasional tamp, and enjoy!
And, welcome, indeed. I lived in Chicago, sometimes called "Chi-town", but that was five decades ago. "The Chi" is new to me. Or maybe it's Chichester, England?

techie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2018
Welcome! I am also new to pipes, just over 2 months. I've learned a lot here by reading and asking questions.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
+1 on Iwan Ries. I used to live in Chicago and had an office in the loop near Iwan Ries. It's a great place with friendly staff and a big selection of pipe tobacco. When I first started smoking pipes, they gave me a corncob to sample their bulk blends, and refused to allow me to pay for it. Of course that resulted in me buying more stuff that they would allow me to pay for.
I suppose it's moot at this point, but their "Gourmet English" is my favorite tobacco of all time. Unfortunately it's no longer produced since, as I currently understand, it was blended by McClelland. Sadly I did not know it was McClelland that blended it, and I consequently did not stock up as much as I otherwise would've. I am fortunate at least to have a pound jarred up so I can enjoy it from time to time.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
+1 on Gourmet English. My first English and after dozens more, still my favorite. Should’ve bought more, but I have a couple of tins left
As Lucky says, we’d love to have you join us at the Chicago Pipe Collectors Club. We have instituted social smokes which occur around the Chicagoland area between regular club meetings. Those might be a better option for getting tips. The meetings can get pretty busy. It’s more relaxed at the social smokes, just because there are fewer people. I live out west, past Aurora. We’ll be having a social smoke at La Vita in St. Charles on October 11th at 7 pm. There’s another at Arlington Pipes and Cigars this coming Saturday afternoon at 2pm. Finally, there’s a standing get together at A Cuban Experience in Waukegan, which looks like a great place, but is too far for me.
Or, PM me.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Chi is a concept of a life force, as far as I've read. I had no idea it was a reference to "Chi-Town". Only shows how out of the loop I am.
Welcome aboard!

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
That's the 'chee'. This is the 'shy'. It's a thing the (suburban) kids are saying these days. I didn't want to give the OP a hard time about it, cos friendly teasing is really difficult for me to write into forum posts, I have learned.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Yep, The Chi is apparently a newish term for Chicago. There's a TV series called The Chi on Showtime. I wonder which came first -- the show or the nickname? In my 58 years in Chicago, I've never heard the word used, but I'm not discounting the probability that I'm behind the times.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
The Chi is a new one for me. My parents moved all of us out of Chicago to Crystal Lake in 1969. Then after I got married I moved even a little further west. I go to Chicago once or twice a year by train. It's always been Chicago or Chi-town. Then a couple a years ago started hearing Chi-raq...from the movie. The Chi...that's a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.