PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
As an open question to all who've commented, would anyone recommend an acrylic stem for my new cob? Will it make a big difference if I smoke the stock bit until I purchase an acrylic one? Is it really that step up?
Hi,
A warm welcome to the Forums from Sydney, Oz

I have just this one cob - a very kind gift from Dave (@Ahi Ka) who felt that my pipe journey would be incomplete without the pleasure of smoking a cob - Bless his soul

The acrylic stem does give it an “upmarket” vibe.
I’m unsure if it is substantially better than the softer, standard plastic stems.
I do not clench, and use silicon bits always, so it is a moot point
IMG_6414.jpeg
Happy puffy

Bwana Kiko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 27, 2021
Uganda
Welcome from Uganda...

I spent a lovely year in Aberystwyth in 1999-2000.

Have an extra bowl of cawl on St Dai's Day for me.

Reactions: Maedhros
Jun 9, 2018
England
Hello all,

I'm a "returning" pipe smoker, in the sense that I have previously ebbed in and out of smoking a pipe.

My initial first experience was whilst working in the Merchant Navy and involved Marseille, a french pearwood apple shaped pipe and amphora. Delightful! Amphora became a mainstay (both versions) and i smoked that pearwood until the bowl eventually broke at the stem joint from a clumsy drop (i even smoked it after with some ugly repairs).

Those days are 7 years behind me now, and i have since had the pleasure of smoking a number of blends such as Frogmorton, C&D's Autumn Evening, St Brunos Flake, 1Q, EMP and nightcap.

I've just purchased a 5th Ave. Cob (Diplomat) and an old dominion Laughing King (Bamboo stem), and i'm looking forward to trying some tobacco blends with a fresh perspective. (I'm also hunting for a nice estate pipe on eBay).

I never really got to the bottom of what made me tick in terms of tobacco, but my favourites were EMP,C&D's Autumn Evening and Frogmorton; so i'm on a journey of sorts to figure out what i really like in a tobacco. Nightcap at times but other times it felt a little strong.

Does anyone have any reccomendations for blends to try? (Some are hard to get in the UK but we have plenty of S.G and G.H blends here amongst a few others.)

I'm thinking of purchasing some Errinmore Flake, Grasmere, Capstan Blue (to explore virginias) and Condor.

Also if any UK members have any advice on importing US blends to the UK in a convenient way would you be happy to suggest retailers? I've used 4noggins in the past, delivery times are long and i'm not sure how customs etc has changed since i was last smoking.

Cheers all and pleasure to be here! Happy piping!
Welcome.

I'm in England and I imported from Germany and the USA quite a bit. This was just before BREXIT and I haven't imported anything since.
Before BREXIT I used Smokingpipes.com and I always got great service. I also got hit with import duties & taxes. As the tobacco from the USA is so much cheaper it didn't work out too bad. Probably an average of about £17 a tin once you added on the p&p & import taxes. It was well worth it because I could get all the blends that they don't sell over here like Mcclelland and Cornell and Diehl.

I also ordered a lot of stuff from Germany like Dan Tobacco and HU. Whenever I ordered from Germany I never got hit with any taxes. I looked on Peter Heinrichs the other day and it said they don't deliver anywhere in the EU. Now we're outside the EU I guess that means they deliver here. No idea if you'd get hit with import taxes, though. That's why I stocked up my cellar when I did. For years I spent very little on pipes and used the money to buy tobacco instead. Glad I did.

Maedhros

Might Stick Around
Sep 9, 2024
South West Wales
Welcome. I'm in England and I imported from Germany and the USA quite a bit. This was just before BREXIT and I haven't imported anything since. Before BREXIT I used Smokingpipes.com and I always got great service. I also got hit with import duties & taxes. As the tobacco from the USA is so much cheaper it didn't work out too bad. Probably an average of about £17 a tin once you added on the p&p & import taxes. It was well worth it because I could get all the blends that they don't sell over here like Mcclelland and Cornell and Diehl. I also ordered a lot of stuff from Germany like Dan Tobacco and HU. Whenever I ordered from Germany I never got hit with any taxes. I looked on Peter Heinrichs the other day and it said they don't deliver anywhere in the EU. Now we're outside the EU I guess that means they deliver here. No idea if you'd get hit with import taxes, though. That's why I stocked up my cellar when I did. For years I spent very little on pipes and used the money to buy tobacco instead. Glad I did.

Could I ask you to drop me a message? I'm looking for a site to order German tobacco (Dan's Tobacco) from Germany to the UK.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Hello all,

I'm a "returning" pipe smoker, in the sense that I have previously ebbed in and out of smoking a pipe.

My initial first experience was whilst working in the Merchant Navy and involved Marseille, a french pearwood apple shaped pipe and amphora. Delightful! Amphora became a mainstay (both versions) and i smoked that pearwood until the bowl eventually broke at the stem joint from a clumsy drop (i even smoked it after with some ugly repairs).

Those days are 7 years behind me now, and i have since had the pleasure of smoking a number of blends such as Frogmorton, C&D's Autumn Evening, St Brunos Flake, 1Q, EMP and nightcap.

I've just purchased a 5th Ave. Cob (Diplomat) and an old dominion Laughing King (Bamboo stem), and i'm looking forward to trying some tobacco blends with a fresh perspective. (I'm also hunting for a nice estate pipe on eBay).

I never really got to the bottom of what made me tick in terms of tobacco, but my favourites were EMP,C&D's Autumn Evening and Frogmorton; so i'm on a journey of sorts to figure out what i really like in a tobacco. Nightcap at times but other times it felt a little strong.

Does anyone have any reccomendations for blends to try? (Some are hard to get in the UK but we have plenty of S.G and G.H blends here amongst a few others.)

I'm thinking of purchasing some Errinmore Flake, Grasmere, Capstan Blue (to explore virginias) and Condor.

Also if any UK members have any advice on importing US blends to the UK in a convenient way would you be happy to suggest retailers? I've used 4noggins in the past, delivery times are long and i'm not sure how customs etc has changed since i was last smoking.

Cheers all and pleasure to be here! Happy piping!
try anything that sounds interesting but from your favorites I'd say try some mild to mid strength english blends (style not country), crossover blends and aromatics that sound good. But really just go with your gut.

Maedhros

Might Stick Around
Sep 9, 2024
South West Wales
Very useful stuff guys.

I'll be placing an order on either Watch City (and crossing my fingers/toes) or Peter Heinrich.

My way of thinking right now is to try and get hold of a straight Virginia blend (HH Pure Virginia), a burley (HH Burley Flake), a mild English like G.L Pease Chelsea Morning, and maybe some Old Fired. My train of thought is leading me to take time to get used to each blend, maybe starting with just smoking a straight virginia over a few weeks, switching to burley, adding in an english or a VaPer for some variety. I want to understand the nuances of the tobaccos contained within blends as i feel it might help me appreciate certain blends more.

I'm hoping this way of thinking in terms of tobacco, paired with focusing on the pipe smoking basics is going to help me dial in what blends i'm really into. What do you guys think? Clean slate, brand new perspective.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
@Maedhros

Please use the "Reply" button when answering a post. Much more readable, and it informs the member you have replied.

Also,
Please put your location in your Profile!
How: Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down.

Barry H

Lurker
Aug 28, 2024
Oldham, England
Welcome from Oldham, UK. I'm also a recent new member but ancient pipe smoker.

Couple of thoughts. Ive been tempted to order from overseas, but I don't think the hassle is worth it TBH, what with import duty/taxes and shipping costs. I'm happy to be proved wrong, though!

For straight Virginias, forget Capstan Blue Ribbon and go for Gawith Best Brown Flake instead. You might also try Peterson Royal Yacht. For Virginia/ Burley try Special Virginia (underrated IMO) and Ogden's Original Flake.

Erinmore and Condor are very much marmite blends and the preferred smokes of the devil :eek:)

BingBong

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2024
London UK
Welcome from Oldham, UK. I'm also a recent new member but ancient pipe smoker.

Couple of thoughts. Ive been tempted to order from overseas, but I don't think the hassle is worth it TBH, what with import duty/taxes and shipping costs. I'm happy to be proved wrong, though!

For straight Virginias, forget Capstan Blue Ribbon and go for Gawith Best Brown Flake instead. You might also try Peterson Royal Yacht. For Virginia/ Burley try Special Virginia (underrated IMO) and Ogden's Original Flake.

Erinmore and Condor are very much marmite blends and the preferred smokes of the devil :eek:)
There's something about SG Best Brown that sinks my boat, whereas FVF is great - then we're getting picky about bright/red/dark Virginias, they're not all the same!

Someone described Erinmore as "Juicy Fruit gum flavour" and I've never shaken that thought, it's the truth. Alright when you fancy that.

I too have looked at importing but shy away from the uncertainty - I'd like to sample HU Dockworker, a Bur/Va really.

Presently smoking "Ogden's Mixture", a pleasant thing.

Maedhros

Might Stick Around
Sep 9, 2024
South West Wales
Update - Just purchased a S.G sampler pack of their best selling Tobaccos. Looking forward to smoking some of these! I haven't tried any previously.