PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Started smoking a pipe around 2015 never new you could age tobaccos. Took a deep dive down the the Rabbit hole of all the different pipe tobaccos and blends.
Started sampling all different types of tobaccos at first me and my brother started with the aromatics but I lean more towards a english and natural tobacoos this is not set in stone cause I like what I like.
The cool thing about smoking a pipe is there is no rules I am kinda just making it up as I go.
Smoked my Dr grabow for a couple of years after 2015 and read a lot about pipe smoking and aging to tobaccos , around this time I had zeroed in on my all time favorite and that would be McClellands Frog Mortons cellar. Cellared up some McClellands stave aged virgians tins and some frog morton cellar with a randon assortment of bulk english blends and then kinda just got out of smoking my pipe but I new she would be there when I called and hopefully a better understanding of how cellaring tobaccos changes its profile.
Well fast forward to 2020 at the beginning of Covid 19 , the way the news was making it sound was we were all dead and the end was near. I was out of work and the sky was falling and I had plenty of time on my hands. So naturally I remembered about my pipe that I have not touched in years and all that aged tobacco that I was cellaring.
Well as I sat on My front porch felt the end of planet earth as I new it was near I packed a bowel of the best tasting smoke I had ever tasted. And suddenly I felt at ease as if I was fine and everything would be ok. The comfort that pipe brought that evening will never be forgotten.
So as the world lost its mind me and my pipe new better.
I was not going to join this forum but the knowledge I have been getting from this site has lead me to this point.
I had just walked up to the tobbacco shop and bought a tin of Three nuns when I got her home I poped the tin and thought that there was mold or some thing in it. The smell was of this tin was breath taking in a amazing way very delightful tin note. But I was unsure if I should smoke it cause I had never seen what I was seeing on a tobacco. After researching this topic on this sight I felt comfortable nowing it was not mold but Crystals from the sugar. So I packed a bowel and went to town. What a pleasant and new experience absolutely delicious.
The tin of Three nuns was from 2018 off the shelf of the shop. For 20 bucks is that a good deal. They have 2 more cans and I was wondering if I should scoop them up or am I just getting carried away here.

Cheers and thanks
hi welcome from the middle of PA, get those tins asap

Reactions: Jacob74

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
Hello and welcome from West Virginia. You will love the forum. These guys and gals are wonderful and full of knowledge. For the over 7 million of world wide deaths and over 1 million USA deaths, of which I was almost one and am in a long recovery from Long COVID, I ask that you don't down play COVID. It is a nasty, life threatening virus that has effected many families in many ways. Enjoy the forum and enjoy the smoking experience, my friend.

ykw5264

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2022
D.C.
Started smoking a pipe around 2015 never new you could age tobaccos. Took a deep dive down the the Rabbit hole of all the different pipe tobaccos and blends.
Started sampling all different types of tobaccos at first me and my brother started with the aromatics but I lean more towards a english and natural tobacoos this is not set in stone cause I like what I like.
The cool thing about smoking a pipe is there is no rules I am kinda just making it up as I go.
Smoked my Dr grabow for a couple of years after 2015 and read a lot about pipe smoking and aging to tobaccos , around this time I had zeroed in on my all time favorite and that would be McClellands Frog Mortons cellar. Cellared up some McClellands stave aged virgians tins and some frog morton cellar with a randon assortment of bulk english blends and then kinda just got out of smoking my pipe but I new she would be there when I called and hopefully a better understanding of how cellaring tobaccos changes its profile.
Well fast forward to 2020 at the beginning of Covid 19 , the way the news was making it sound was we were all dead and the end was near. I was out of work and the sky was falling and I had plenty of time on my hands. So naturally I remembered about my pipe that I have not touched in years and all that aged tobacco that I was cellaring.
Well as I sat on My front porch felt the end of planet earth as I new it was near I packed a bowel of the best tasting smoke I had ever tasted. And suddenly I felt at ease as if I was fine and everything would be ok. The comfort that pipe brought that evening will never be forgotten.
So as the world lost its mind me and my pipe new better.
I was not going to join this forum but the knowledge I have been getting from this site has lead me to this point.
I had just walked up to the tobbacco shop and bought a tin of Three nuns when I got her home I poped the tin and thought that there was mold or some thing in it. The smell was of this tin was breath taking in a amazing way very delightful tin note. But I was unsure if I should smoke it cause I had never seen what I was seeing on a tobacco. After researching this topic on this sight I felt comfortable nowing it was not mold but Crystals from the sugar. So I packed a bowel and went to town. What a pleasant and new experience absolutely delicious.
Three nuns was from 2018 off the shelf of the shop. For 20 bucks is that a good deal. They have 2 more cans and I was wondering if I should scoop them up or am I just getting carried away here.

Cheers and thanks
Welcome! Same from PA!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome aboard from central North Carolina. To answer your question, twenty bucks for a tin of premium pipe tobacco is about standard at a brick and mortar shop, and it is worth keeping these places going in competition with online retail pipe and tobacco dealers. Online, you can get a lot of 1.75 or 2 oz. tins of pipe tobacco for nine to fifteen bucks, but then you pay shipping and often tax, so it evens out a little.

Pipe shops are becoming more rare. One of the largest on Manhattan closed a few years ago, Nat Sherman; a real flagship shop went down. Iwan Ries in Chicago is till in business and sells online as well. But local shops are important, and great for beginners to window shop a lot of pipes and learn a lot of lore in person, sort of cultural centers for pipe smokers. They're worth supporting.

Osirus

Might Stick Around
May 13, 2022
Nebraska, USA
Hello from Nebraska! The escapades of 2020 continue, and I find some solace in both the smoking of pipes and the hobby/learning aspect of it! Plus, you can use your pipe to point at the news and say "well would you look at that".

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Yo id - welcome. Which part of PA are you? I'm from West Chester and am a member of Christopher Morley's PC in Philly and Lehigh Valley PC in Bethlehem. Also hit the Northern NJ Fellowship of Pipe Smokers which meets at the JR Cigars in Whippany.

hp
les