PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JackofNone

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 22, 2023
Central New Jersey
www.youtube.com
Hey everyone,

My name is Jordan. I'm from the Northeastern U.S.. I have been a pipe smoker for a couple weeks now. I have smoked cigarettes for a long time (10+yrs), but pipe smoking has eliminated that part of my diet. Pipe smoking is a much more pleasurable and relaxing experience.

Recently I was reading Joyce's "A Portrait...," and I believe it was James' Uncle who was depicted smoking a pipe. His descriptions of the smoke and the twist tobacco reminded me that I had bought a tobacco pipe a couple years ago, but it never took on. Well I picked it back up again and filled it with some higher quality cigarette tobacco I had on hand. The elevated flavor and aroma was enough to send me over to my local tobacconist and try a few blends in the same pipe. So those were great, but I could tell they weren't as complex as those covered on youtube. StuffNThings and Muttnchop Piper are my favorite channels. So I put in an order to P+C and also got another pipe.

The journey continued to ramp up in energy as these blends were far superior to anything else I had tried. As a RYO cigarette smoker I was able to gauge packing density early on. My Viking Assens 410 and outdoor decking screw rocked out until I finally got a tamper this week. I'll try to wrap it up here.

Pipe smoking has also led me to read more than I ever have been motivated to. I enjoy this aspect of the hobby.

In two weeks I've made leather pipe stands, designated an old dinner plate as an ash tray and a cutting board to dry out the tobacco (I was rolling cigarettes on a frisbee), purchased 4 more pipes, and around 10 different blends.

My favorites so far are: Peterson: Irish Flake and Nightcap; Cornell and Diehl: Oriental Silk and Three Friars. I have some good ones on the way but Irish Flake is the only thing I doubled up on after trying so far.

Today was my first day with the Falcon and it's going to be very difficult to smoke something else.

I have specific questions:
Nightcap. It's good. Is there an accurate match? That stuff is not cheap.
Same question for Irish Flake.
Are there any pipe shows in New Jersey that anyone knows of? I bet there's one in New York.
How many pipes is too many pipes? (just kidding).

Cheers everyone,
Jordan

Last edited by a moderator:

yanoJL

Lifer
Oct 21, 2022
Pismo Beach, California
Hello Jordan, and welcome from California 🌞

I believe I hold the distinction of being your YouTube video's first view, thumbs-up and comment, lol.

You've picked out some fabulous blends to get started. Nightcap was my first nirvana smoke, and so I always have a tin of that blend either open or in the cellar.

Happy to have you here, friend.

Reactions: PaulRVA
Oct 3, 2021
Southeastern PA
Welcome from PA.

Nightcap is good, but I would venture out and try other English blends. There are so many out there and most are good or fantastic. In terms of English blends, 2 of my favorites are GLP Quiet Nights and C&D Pirate Kake. For the latter, you best love latakia, because it's around 75% latakia. Also, keep an eye on all the sites, P&C, SP, TP, etc... because they all usually run some kind of weekly sales.

As you go along your journey, you will eventually come across all the powerhouse B&Ms around the country that have their own amazing blends. If you haven't yet, and if you spend time on here, you will hear, Boswell's, LJ Peretti, The Country Squire, Watch City Cigar and Iwan Ries, just to name a few. Give them a look, but don't let yourself get too overwhelmed by all the different blends.

If you prefer to stick to bulk tobaccos, you can't go wrong with Sutliff and Peter Stokkebye. Most of their offerings, you can pick up a pound between $30-65. And fyi, Sutliff bulk is on sale at SP this week, until 12/25.

PaulRVA

Lifer
May 29, 2023
“Tobacco Row “Richmond Virginia USA
Welcome from Richmond Virginia.
If you enjoy Nightcap as said above you’d probably like C&D Pirate Kake and GLP Odyssey. There are a couple Nightcap matches.
Sutliff Brand through Smoking Pipes ,Tobacco Pipes and Cup O’Joes and Pipes and Cigars has one as well.
Happy Holiday’s.
F05C04C5-38F6-4CF3-929D-77722D4CE41A.jpeg

JackofNone

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 22, 2023
Central New Jersey
www.youtube.com
Hey everyone,

My name is Jordan. I'm from the Northeastern U.S.. I have been a pipe smoker for a couple weeks now. I have smoked cigarettes for a long time (10+yrs), but pipe smoking has eliminated that part of my diet. Pipe smoking is a much more pleasurable and relaxing experience.

Recently I was reading Joyce's "A Portrait...," and I believe it was James' Uncle who was depicted smoking a pipe. His descriptions of the smoke and the twist tobacco reminded me that I had bought a tobacco pipe a couple years ago, but it never took on. Well I picked it back up again and filled it with some higher quality cigarette tobacco I had on hand. The elevated flavor and aroma was enough to send me over to my local tobacconist and try a few blends in the same pipe. So those were great, but I could tell they weren't as complex as those covered on youtube. StuffNThings and Muttnchop Piper are my favorite channels. So I put in an order to P+C and also got another pipe.

The journey continued to ramp up in energy as these blends were far superior to anything else I had tried. As a RYO cigarette smoker I was able to gauge packing density early on. My Viking Assens 410 and outdoor decking screw rocked out until I finally got a tamper this week. I'll try to wrap it up here.

Pipe smoking has also led me to read more than I ever have been motivated to. I enjoy this aspect of the hobby.

In two weeks I've made leather pipe stands, designated an old dinner plate as an ash tray and a cutting board to dry out the tobacco (I was rolling cigarettes on a frisbee), purchased 4 more pipes, and around 10 different blends.

My favorites so far are: Peterson: Irish Flake and Nightcap; Cornell and Diehl: Oriental Silk and Three Friars. I have some good ones on the way but Irish Flake is the only thing I doubled up on after trying so far.

Today was my first day with the Falcon and it's going to be very difficult to smoke something else.

I have specific questions:
Nightcap. It's good. Is there an accurate match? That stuff is not cheap.
Same question for Irish Flake.
Are there any pipe shows in New Jersey that anyone knows of? I bet there's one in New York.
How many pipes is too many pipes? (just kidding).

Cheers everyone,
Jordan

Hi and welcome Jordan all the way from Northamptonshire England, hope you have a very merry Xmas. puffy
Northamptonshire! Just a stone's throw across the pond! Merry Xmas to you, thank you.

Reactions: tobakenist

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
As already stated bulk is cheaper by far. Also as you get better at the pipe you will he surprised at how far a tin stretches. At first a lot is wasted. Packing too tight. Puffing too fast etc…. Its a lot cheap than cigarettes and better too.

JackofNone

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 22, 2023
Central New Jersey
www.youtube.com
Thanks everyone. I'll be seeking a bulk alternative to Nightcap. I want to have 5 tobaccos to get by the pound to avoid multiple orders a month. I suppose I should begin to stray from tins, and I will look into all the bulk blends recommended to me. It's Saturday morning EST, so I hope everyone has a nice weekend.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Yo Jac - are you near the Philly area? There are several pipe clubs that may be within your range: Lehigh Valley Pipe Club in Bethlehem PA, the NJ Fellowship of Pipe Smokers that meets up in JR Cigars in Parsippany and a new one in Southern NJ. This winter we hope to resurrect the long standing Morley's PC in Center City.