Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I'm in Richmond, south of Lexington, thanks

Welcome!

Please
put your location in your Profile.
How:
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. province, etc.

Reactions: InWithBothFeet

MRW

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2022
Fort Worth Texas
Brand new to pipes, 2 bowls in. A bit of history. I've always loved the smell of pipe tobacco... "room note" is the term I have picked up recently and cavendish is what I always associated with pipe smells. My father apparently smoked a pipe before my arrival on the scene, I'm guessing he was one to have a pipe in his mouth most of the day as he quit when he had a lip lesion and the doc back in the mid-60s told him to put them down (they were up in the attic for decades, wish I had them now). Fast forward to the late 80s when I was in Germany in the army, I bought a random pipe and a random tobacco but that only lasted one day. Naturally that was pre-internet so there was no research done and I have no idea what kind of pipe or tobacco it was that I picked up. I remember at the time that I was disappointed that it didn't taste like it smelled so I dropped it immediately. Now at 56, I am dabbling with it again. This time with hours of YT videos about beginner blends and pipes and how-to's to guide me. I still don't know anyone personally that smokes one. I'm a fan of the LOTR books and stories, so my first pipe was naturally a churchwarden (the videos that told me to buy a barrel or cob pipe didn't sink in). I have 2 pipes now, that churchwarden and a more practical Peterson bent dublin, both 9mm filter pipes. I've watched WAY too many tobacco reviews and most of them sound great, and so... I have several blends from across the spectrum to experiment with. Hopefully one or three or 10 of them will suit me while I learn the mechanics.

Ian
Hello and welcome to the Forum from Deep in the Heart of Texas. You will find this site to be informative and the members insightful (and at times, most entertaining). Enjoy your stay!