PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
oh I am also a snuff taker too. I get mine from Toque if you order a lb of it they'll make whatever bespoke scent you ask for. I like florals personally so my two scents are rose atar (sandalwood and rose basically, great stuff) and Sambac jasmine on a dark fired base (fucking wonderful stuff that makes me people sound half orgasmic when they snuff it, not being gross just can't think of a better description).

Reactions: Jim Sobie

Jim Sobie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2021
Allen Park, Michigan
That's not so bad. I found out if they all sting you that it's actually quite fun after the fear and pain are gone. I found that out while hiking in a rocking uneven area that is notorious for messing up peoples ankles. I slipped and stuck my hand in their hive. After running away from them (adrenaline is a crazy thing) I realized how fun their venom can be when I had the thought "man the trees are extra sparkly today, wait trees don't sparkle."
So what I am saying is really not as big of a problem as your making it out to be.
I both hate and am fascinated by social wasps, and follow the Hornet King on YouTube. I also used to sling Budweiser as a delivery helper, and while vape juice attracts yellowjackets badly enough, there's nothing like throwing 7 or 800 cases of empties on a hot summer day and surrounded by a fog of stale beer mist. Especially at golf courses, where I'm convinced they breed killer yellowjackets in secret underground bunkers just outside the 18th fairway and unleash them on the hired help for entertainment.

Jim Sobie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2021
Allen Park, Michigan
oh I am also a snuff taker too. I get mine from Toque if you order a lb of it they'll make whatever bespoke scent you ask for. I like florals personally so my two scents are rose atar (sandalwood and rose basically, great stuff) and Sambac jasmine on a dark fired base (fucking wonderful stuff that makes me people sound half orgasmic when they snuff it, not being gross just can't think of a better description).
I remember Toque well and enjoyed quite a few of their snuffs. But for my money, my favorite is a good smoky Scotch like Bruton, Rooster or W.E. Garrett.

Reactions: anotherbob

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
I remember Toque well and enjoyed quite a few of their snuffs. But for my money, my favorite is a good smoky Scotch like Bruton, Rooster or W.E. Garrett.
you know I have never had those snuffs. They're the hardest to get and I won't pay the price to get them reimported after getting exported. I'd rather get several tubs of something like sparrow for that price. But I do know toque has their imitation of those. Which means you could probably get a pound of one that's more to your taste as a special request. I'd ask Roderick first and tell him you're sure his elves can pull it off :)

Jim Sobie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2021
Allen Park, Michigan
you know I have never had those snuffs. They're the hardest to get and I won't pay the price to get them reimported after getting exported. I'd rather get several tubs of something like sparrow for that price. But I do know toque has their imitation of those. Which means you could probably get a pound of one that's more to your taste as a special request. I'd ask Roderick first and tell him you're sure his elves can pull it off :)
Aw heck I have some family in Tennessee; if I ever run low I'll ask them to send me a care package. Hehe

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Aw heck I have some family in Tennessee; if I ever run low I'll ask them to send me a care package. Hehe
I have no such thing. Though the rare times I travel I check out convenience stores and grocery stores for American snuffs. I know there are towns around here that carry them as I've seen ancient people dipping the stuff. Always that kind of ancient person who looks like they've had enough of the worlds shit and don't need some young punk asking them where they buy things (yeah 43 is a young punk at that point).

• Haha

Jim Sobie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2021
Allen Park, Michigan
I have no such thing. Though the rare times I travel I check out convenience stores and grocery stores for American snuffs. I know there are towns around here that carry them as I've seen ancient people dipping the stuff. Always that kind of ancient person who looks like they've had enough of the worlds shit and don't need some young punk asking them where they buy things (yeah 43 is a young punk at that point).
Shoot I'll be happy to find a B&M near me that carries more than a few dusty packets of Captain Black that are so old, they were probably packaged when he was still a cabin boy. Meijer used to have the big cans of PA and CH, but they've since relocated their tobacco out to their gas stations because of course they did. I'll find some eventually...

• Haha
Reactions: anotherbob

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Welcome from Western Canada! Great introduction, not sure if this is what happens when a long time, first class lurker takes that first step over the threshold to membership. Did your pipe go out while you were writing that? Looking forward to your future participation!

• Haha

Jim Sobie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2021
Allen Park, Michigan
Welcome from Western Canada! Great introduction, not sure if this is what happens when a long time, first class lurker takes that first step over the threshold to membership. Did your pipe go out while you were writing that? Looking forward to your future participatio

Cheers from Bloomfield Township! Glad you broke down and joined in. Takes a man to drink Vernors while smoking a pipe.
Thanks, Trudger! Any good B&M's you know of? I'm planning to take a Saturday to head up to Paul's in Flint, but it'd be nice to find a place a little closer to home...

trudger

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2019
‘Burbs of Detroit
Hey Jim, most of what you'll find is a lack of variety once you get there. H&H in Grosse Pointe has only house blends and I only buy his Balkan. He will talk your ear off and tell you to buy his Mayfair blend (I think that's it). It's what Sparky Anderson used to smoke according to him.
Churchill's in Birmingham has MacBaren and Petersons and house blends as well as Savanelli and Peterson pipes. Not sure about their Grosse Pointe shop.
Those are the closest to you that I know of. You could drive farther but online wins.

Jim Sobie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2021
Allen Park, Michigan
Hey Jim, most of what you'll find is a lack of variety once you get there. H&H in Grosse Pointe has only house blends and I only buy his Balkan. He will talk your ear off and tell you to buy his Mayfair blend (I think that's it). It's what Sparky Anderson used to smoke according to him.
Churchill's in Birmingham has MacBaren and Petersons and house blends as well as Savanelli and Peterson pipes. Not sure about their Grosse Pointe shop.
Those are the closest to you that I know of. You could drive farther but online wins.
Yeah that's basically what I've heard, that Hill & Hill only sells house stuff and that Maison Edwards in Ann Arbor has some tins, but expensive and nobody there really knows pipes (somebody please correct me if I'm wrong). But I'm told the atmosphere is very old-school and worth a visit at least.

There IS one place not far from me that (at least a few years ago) had a rather impressive selection of codger blends. I might bop down there one afternoon and snap up a few pouches...

Reactions: trudger

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Well I said I wasn't gonna do it (I'm a crackerjack Lurker; I'm of the firm conviction that throughout history many of our greatest accomplishments were achieved by Lurkers), but the overall tone and flavor (smoke?) of this forum just smacks of the contemplative, the cordial, and the serene (all qualities correctly attributed to the pipe smoker), so I am tossing my hat into the ring.

My name's James Sobieski, but if you try to say that out loud the two S's run together and you either end up with Jamesssssobieski or have to pause almost like a hiccup: James...*....Sobieski. Neither of which works well over a PA so I'm using my stage name, Jim Sobie. Why not.

For the past 43 years I've always lived somewhere in the Metro Detroit area (Warren, originally) but for the past 15 I've lived in Allen Park. Where's that? Well if you ever fly into Detroit Metro and catch a cab downtown you'll pass a large and fairly ridiculous giant Uniroyal Tire: 80 feet in diameter, 12 tons, originally a Ferris Wheel at the 1964 New York World's Fair. Afterwards nobody knew what to do with it, so we Detroiters did what we always do with unwanted tires: we chucked it out a window along I-94 until it rolled to a stop by the side of the road. It just so happens that slice of I-94 lies within Allen Park. There. That's a thing you know now.

Enough prattle. Tobacco. I've smoked cigarettes since I was 14 or so and loved every damn butt I ever smoked. When my daughter was born 12 years ago I resolved to quit, and quit with nasal snuff. I dove into the world of snuff (as it has its own forums, lingo, acronyms and argot), found my tastes ran to the Scotch snuffs of the blow-your-head-off variety, less so the sweet or candylike or flowery nose-confections of Poeschl or Fribourg & Treyer. The PACT Act dropped the curtain on that one, whoops.

I've had and enjoyed snus, chew, cigars, basically everything except hookah (because my wife draws the line at a pipe that stands 3 feet tall and gurgles), but cigarettes were always there, the fallback as it were. Vaping? Oh lord. I vaped before it was cool. I vaped the little cartridges, the big tank systems, the pods, the mods, the gods. In the end vaping frustrates me because I can do it anywhere, and because I CAN...I DO, and HAVE. Restaurants, Theatres, the bathroom, funeral parlors, and once during sex (just to see if I could get away with it). Also every vape LEAKS, and next thing you know you have sticky fingers and your watch pocket is gooped up and you have a cloud of yellowjackets following you around, yeah it's a bad deal.

Finally on the sixth paragraph, pipes. My father split 25 years ago and left behind most of his crap, amongst which was an old Hudson's box (anybody remember Hudson's?) filled with pipes gathered over his eclectic smoking career as a pipeman in the 1960s, before he hung it up. A lot of weirdo pipes, most of which I will probably tote up to Paul's in Flint one day to barter away, but amongst them two very serviceable Pibe-Dans, a Kriswill bent and a big Malaga poker from the old Malaga shop in Royal Oak, MI (now long defunct). I quit vaping for the last time with a pack of the ever-present Newports, then scowled, dragged out this Hudson's box, picked out 4 of the most reasonable briars and snapped up a packet of Prince Albert, then vowed afterwards to diversify.

I lurked here for quite a while, but then had to bring myself to a decision before I fell into Analysis Paralysis. I realized that, as Muttnchop has said, if there are 4 types of pipe smoker, I'm definitely the tobacco connoisseur. While I respect big and pretty pipes, a cob is just as good a smoke as any and I'm kind of a steak-and-potatoes guy. I ordered two MM Mark Twains and two Country Gentlemans, and then followed that up with:

1. Orlik Golden Sliced
2. My Mixture 965
3. Cult Blood Red Moon
4. Plum Pudding
5. 1-Q
6. Arango Balkan Supreme
7. Sutliff Vanilla Custard

Retired to the porch over the past few weeks to sample, to puff, and yes to gulp (reformed cigarette smoker, yes I know inhaling is Not the Way but a few good lungers of burley with your morning coffee will get you firing on all cylinders). I'm realizing I'm not the aromatic type. 1-Q is okay when sipped, vanilla custard is...well it smells nice but my coarse palate simply can't parse the joy. But oh that Balkan, oh that 965...tonight was my first flake of OGS and the sprizzle of perique in my sinuses was like Vernors fizz, absolutely delightful.

So you see, I shouldn't Lurk because then I join and write you all a frickin novel by way of introduction. I apologize and accept all rocks thrown at me. I am overjoyed to be partaking in this ancient rite, this complicated standard-transmission manual-choke method of sampling the great tobaccos of the world. Finicky, sometimes bitey, but sublime when done right. Think I'll shelve the vanilla custard and cellar the Blood Red Moon until I get my cadence calmed down enough to treat an aro right, and meanwhile enjoy the Balkans and the OGS (and see if I can't scare up a can of PA or CH or Granger for my morning bowl because burley is the breakfast of champions). Pleased to meet all of you!
I like the cut of your job Sir. Detroit hosted a fantastic Indy Car race this weekend.

Welcome from THE Buckeye State O H

Status
Not open for further replies.