PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Welcome from KC. Cigarette smoking is nothing like pipe smoking. Totally different beast. Learn to not pack your pipe as nearly as tightly and smoke slowly.

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
Welcome from Pacific NW USA! Do you, by chance, work at the Mac Baren or STG Assens factory?

Romaso…. may I ask who the fellow is in your avatar image? The image makes me think of “Mutual of Omaha’ Wild Kingdom”…… a favorite television program I really liked back in the day.

The image also amuses me because it looks like he is getting the cat to drink a beer. ?

Reactions: romaso

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
Romaso…. may I ask who the fellow is in your avatar image? The image makes me think of “Mutual of Omaha’ Wild Kingdom”…… a favorite television program I really liked back in the day.

The image also amuses me because it looks like he is getting the cat to drink a beer. ?
That is George Adamson, his wife Joy wrote the Born Free series. He is feeding a lion cub (Sam, I believe) milk from a Tusker beer bottle. He wrote an interesting autobio called 'My Pride and Joy'. He worked caring for lions in Kenya, at was killed by Somali bandits in 1989 at age 83. More info:
George Adamson Information - Father of Lions

Quo on Goodreads tells how he visited George at his African camp, "being young & somewhat less than adequately fearful of the local warnings, a friend & myself would borrow a rattly antique Landrover from a mission station run by the Italian Consolata Fathers, stopping at the local Indian (Hindu) store in Meru to buy a bottle of White Horse scotch and we then had full admission to George's world for the weekend. Bringing some Three Nuns or other pipe tobacco also helped to seal the deal." Source:
Quo (Wilmette, IL)’s review of Bwana Game (goodreads.com)

1655326273716.png

Reactions: Epip Oc'Cabot

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
That is George Adamson, his wife Joy wrote the Born Free series. He is feeding a lion cub (Sam, I believe) milk from a Tusker beer bottle. He wrote an interesting autobio called 'My Pride and Joy'. He worked caring for lions in Kenya, at was killed by Somali bandits in 1989 at age 83. More info:
George Adamson Information - Father of Lions

Quo on Goodreads tells how he visited George at his African camp, "being young & somewhat less than adequately fearful of the local warnings, a friend & myself would borrow a rattly antique Landrover from a mission station run by the Italian Consolata Fathers, stopping at the local Indian (Hindu) store in Meru to buy a bottle of White Horse scotch and we then had full admission to George's world for the weekend. Bringing some Three Nuns or other pipe tobacco also helped to seal the deal." Source:
Quo (Wilmette, IL)’s review of Bwana Game (goodreads.com)

View attachment 151271

Ah! Thank you! I knew he looked familiar to me…. I had read “Born Free” and that is where I saw him….. just read it so very long ago I forgot! Read the book in a similar time frame to “Mutual of Omaha’s Wild Kingdom” and they ran together a bit. ?

Reactions: romaso