PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Robin Hood

Lurker
Apr 28, 2023
Belfast, Northern Ireland
Welcome from Arizona! Glad to see someone from NI as I have family connections in Fermanagh. My mother was a war bride. Have you checked out Miss Moran’s shop?
Hey! My mother’s side of the family are all from Fermanagh. Small world!
Yes I am a regular there, not yet for pipe tobacco though… will be making a trip once this tin of Yacht evaporates!

• Love
Reactions: edger

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hey from central North Carolina, U.S. That's a fine looking pooch in your avatar. Belfast is the home of my favorite Irish whisky. I too like Royal Yacht, such a nicely integrated aromatic blend, well balanced and tobacco-forward. I have an unopened tin of the version labeled Dunhill. Welcome aboard.

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
Thanks! Have you got any recommendations for tobacco similar (or different) to royal yacht? I’m a former cigarette smoker so appreciate higher nicotine contents
I will research it and message you, I haven't had Royal Yacht for years, might order a tin or two, you might like Balkans or an English like Squadron Leader but I will let you know, never stick to one tobacco or you will find that you will loose the flavour, always best to have a few different tobacco's.

Reactions: Robin Hood

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Welcome, and if you stick around here long enough, you might get the fever too, and buy and smoke loads of different blends, there’s a whole world of amazing pipe tobacco to explore! :)

Reactions: tobakenist

Robin Hood

Lurker
Apr 28, 2023
that's a great moment when you find that blend that isn't just good but just hits you in the right way. I think for me it was University Flake. Helped me find more blends that really tickle my fancy.
Yes that royal yacht hit the spot, gave me a borderline religious experience! Don’t think I’ve ever enjoyed a finer tobacco experience, cigars included

Robin Hood

Lurker
Apr 28, 2023
Hey from central North Carolina, U.S. That's a fine looking pooch in your avatar. Belfast is the home of my favorite Irish whisky. I too like Royal Yacht, such a nicely integrated aromatic blend, well balanced and tobacco-forward. I have an unopened tin of the version labeled Dunhill. Welcome aboard.
Thanks, he’s a great goose deterrent!
Think I’ve hit the jackpot early with the royal yacht, which is nice as I can stock up and keep it as a staple… had some brown pigtail twist arrive today which will be interesting to try. Didn’t even realise RY was an aromatic! They have nailed the recipe at any rate as it doesn’t impinge upon the tobacco flavour (perhaps subtly augments it?)
im sure my pallet will mature with time and experience, for now it’s just delightful stumbling upon something I really enjoy

Reactions: Browny

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
Yes, I have only scratched the surface but seems like a highly rewarding hobby; way more to it than I’d previously imagined
Hi, Gawith & Hoggarth's Red Mixture is close to Royal Yacht, if you go to Smoke-kings site in the UK they do 25 gram samples so you can explore some tobaccos, I used to smoke Royal Yacht when it was still a Dunhill tobacco. Enjoy your Pipe,
Ken. puffy

Reactions: Robin Hood