PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyewsee369

Lurker
Oct 9, 2018
N. Va
I am relatively new to pipe smoking (or any form of smoking for that matter)..off and on for a few years. The past few months have been so stressful in many ways and the Zen momments that I have w my pipe is much needed. Smoking my pipe marks the ending of WFH and the start of being a family man.

When I was a young boy growing up in Vietnam, I remember enjoying being around my grandfather when he smoked his pipe. I enjoyed the rituals of smoking and the care that he gave his pipe. The pipe had a white dot on the stem. Because of these vivid memories of my grandfather, it always feel special for me to smoke a Dunhill pipe.

As a new smoker, I have only smoked aromatics (fav Blue Note). I tried my father's latakia and it was way to "strong" for me. My goal is to work my way towards the English blends eventually.

That's it about me for now. I appreciate this community and look forward to learning from and connecting with you all.

-Jack

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
I am relatively new to pipe smoking (or any form of smoking for that matter)..off and on for a few years. The past few months have been so stressful in many ways and the Zen momments that I have w my pipe is much needed. Smoking my pipe marks the ending of WFH and the start of being a family man.

When I was a young boy growing up in Vietnam, I remember enjoying being around my grandfather when he smoked his pipe. I enjoyed the rituals of smoking and the care that he gave his pipe. The pipe had a white dot on the stem. Because of these vivid memories of my grandfather, it always feel special for me to smoke a Dunhill pipe.

As a new smoker, I have only smoked aromatics (fav Blue Note). I tried my father's latakia and it was way to "strong" for me. My goal is to work my way towards the English blends eventually.

That's it about me for now. I appreciate this community and look forward to learning from and connecting with you all.

-Jack
Welcome from SE Georgia! Memories of both my Grandfathers smoking a pipe is why first started also

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome from central N.C. I spend some time off the coast of Vietnam and in and out of its ports years ago, and have stayed in Arlington when on business trips to Bethesda and other D.C. venues.

eyewsee369

Lurker
Oct 9, 2018
N. Va
Thanks all for the warm welcome. I appreciate the acknowledgement of my culture and ethnicity.
Yes...Vietnam is a wonderful country to visit.
@lightxmyfire...That’s exactly what I do...I eat my way through every trip I took to VN. I left Saigon when I was 10 years old and did not return until I was 25. After that, I went back every year for 8 consecutive years. :)
One of my goal is to traverse the entire length of VN one day by motor bike..perhaps on a Vespa...with a pipe sticking out of my smiling face!

lightxmyfire

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2019
DMV Area
Thanks all for the warm welcome. I appreciate the acknowledgement of my culture and ethnicity.
Yes...Vietnam is a wonderful country to visit.
@lightxmyfire...That’s exactly what I do...I eat my way through every trip I took to VN. I left Saigon when I was 10 years old and did not return until I was 25. After that, I went back every year for 8 consecutive years. :)
One of my goal is to traverse the entire length of VN one day by motor bike..perhaps on a Vespa...with a pipe sticking out of my smiling face!

Count me in! Sounds like exactly my kind of trip too! My wife and I have been talking about doing similar things all over the world, South America, Japan, Europe.... until we run out of gas money, or belt loops anyways!

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Welcome from nearby neighbor to the NOVA area! I worked in Alexandria occasionally. Wish JB Hayes at Fair Oaks was still in business.

eyewsee369

Lurker
Oct 9, 2018
N. Va
Welcome from nearby neighbor to the NOVA area! I worked in Alexandria occasionally. Wish JB Hayes at Fair Oaks was still in business.
Your post prompted me to call them. Talked to Mathew, son of original owner. He still has a shop in Winchester, Va. However, they do not have a market out there for pipes and inventory is low. Planning drop by when J am out there though.

Reactions: kurtbob
Status
Not open for further replies.