PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
CW, if Elizabethan is a favorite, and with its impending demise, Luxury Bullseye Flake, Escudo, and Acadian Perique may be of interest to you.

dunstanhillwell62

Might Stick Around
May 11, 2017
Denmark
Welcome and what a great haul. Red Orlik is a favourite of mine and has been so since the mid-sixties and I'm surprised that SmokingPipes still have the Petersen-made 'Escudo'; these days it's being made by Scandinavian Tobacco Group.
...and yes, I do fear TAD and PAD...

You might as well embrace it, as you can't fight it.
:)

cwpiperman

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2018
WELL!
I thank each and every one of you who replied (and who are considering replying) to my initial post. I have discovered, much to my general delight and frequent amusement, that the pipe smoking community appears to be one of the friendliest, most intelligent and generally welcoming communities I've ever had the good fortune to find. Thanks to one and all for the warm and inclusive welcome.
Yes, I kind of decided if I'm going to do this thing, I'm going to do it right, and I decided to, bnichols23 has said, "jump in with all four feet & both shoulders!" And I delight, by the way, that you called me "kid". Tell me more about this "Black. Frigate" of which you speak. I do know there is a C&D blend by that name that you're probably referring to.....care to expound?
Interestingly, I did add an Avatar to my profile but I don't see it yet...perhaps it must be approved? Alas, also, I don't see any way of replying to you individually on this forum, so I'll do it all in this windbag of a second post.....
Jpmcwjr, thank you very much for the information about the evolution of the taste of a new pipe. I do understand the theory of cake, but wasn't aware that things evolved. I'll watch for that.
Peppesdad1, yes, you'll notice that I placed the word HAD in brackets for just that reason. That's been dealt with most effectively......
Woodsroad, I will report my experience with 1Q: if it ghosts as you say, I'll start it out in a cob to be safe. Thanks for the heads up!
Chasing Embers, along with the treatise on Black Frigate, can you expound on the issue you see with Chris' breath smoking technique? Quite interested, and certainly don't want to damage that which I have prostrated myself to the financial deity to obtain. And thanks for the recommendation for blends to "replace" the moribund Elizabethan.
Paulie66scandia, thanks for the kind words and encouragement.
Dunstanhillwell62, thanks for the kind words. I am now part of the Pipe-Borg Collective. Resistance is futile.
Again, thanks so much for your warm welcome. I'll try to be an active participant and hope to contribute something useful, once I have...........something useful to contribute.
Be well!
CW

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Welcome to the site. Next time you get around to ordering I would suggest grabbing a tin of Mac Baren Old Dark Fired. It is a wonderful Virginia/Burley flake that is readily available and very tasty. I noticed you had no Vaburs in your original order and that is a category that offers some really great blends.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
+1 on Harris' recommendation of ODF; I think you'll like it.
Like a lot of the guys I'm in my *high* 60s & have an attitude combined with an evyl sense of black humor, so I'm prone to take just about anything & run with it. I first took up the pipe in the '60s, so while there are a few here who predate me on both, it ain't all that many. }:)
Yeah, BF refers to the CD blend. It's a nice mild-medium English that has a *lot* to recommend it. I like straight Latakia,but absent that to me BF is as good as it gets. Embers is the Skipper & turned me onto it a while back. Jaytex is gunner, anthonyrosenthal is in the crew as well, & several others, including smitty, who we just kidnapped. Pappymac is a former Coast Guard type, & he's always ordering us to heave to & prepare to be boarded. We don't exactly have the rep of being the most peaceable scalawags in the world. :twisted:

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Chasing Embers, along with the treatise on Black Frigate, can you expound on the issue you see with Chris' breath smoking technique?
:)
Black Frigate is just a tobacco that a few of us are really nuts about.
The breath smoking issue is that it should be a relaxed sort of smoking. Muttonchop is blowing smoke back through the pipe with every breath like a bellows, and that will really heat things up. The technique really shines when you only keep it going just enough to barely keep the ember lit. Kerslake's video displays is perfectly, and I also made one to fill in the gap to explain what was going on between breaths. G.L. Pease's website also did an informative article about it.
G.L. Pease Link
My Video
On a side note, I've been watching more of Chris's videos. Seems like a great guy. Still amazes me that I've never heard of him. Really great info, and entertaining as well.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Quite interested, and certainly don't want to damage that which I have prostrated myself to the financial deity to obtain. And thanks for the recommendation for blends to "replace" the moribund Elizabethan.
No worries there, pipesmoking can be as inexpensive or as expensive as you want it to be. I have cobs up to artisans, and have lately resigned myself to estate restorations. As for the Elizabethan recommendations, I've loved it for years, and have been scrambling to find alternates for a while. I love a good Va/Per.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Atta boy. Take up smoking at age 60. Sounds intelligent.

Pipes and pipe tobacco are truly enjoyable toys. Your correct to assume or realize that your palate will change over time with experience.

Of the tobaccos I've tried in my first 4 yrs, the least indulged are the aros.

Once I knew and found that I enjoyed the varietal differences, of burley, Virginia, Turkish Izmir, Latakia, Perique, cigar leaf, I guess I felt that the aros are aromatic mostly for the tin note anyway. What you taste is always the tobacco, bottom line.
Don't feel as if you have to respond to my post. It's all good.
I see that you don't use Matches860 (a longtime youtube presenter) for your smoking mentor. His puffing style is way aggressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.