PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

obc83

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 4, 2023
so i would really like to acquire a meerschaum and wondering where to start. and more specifically where to start on a budget. is it better to start with an estate pipe or is meerschaum best enjoyed fresh? and is there anywhere to get a very basic new and quality meer for not a whole lot? thanks.

Pooh-Bah

Can't Leave
Apr 21, 2023
Central Maryland
I think there's something special in taking a pure white meer and turning it beiges and browns over time through use and maybe the application of extra wax once a year.

Smoking Pipes has a couple AKBs for about sixty bucks - I don't think I've seen any horror stories of their quality.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
You should spend around the same amount on a Meer that you spend on a briar. There also doesn't seem to be much middle ground. That is, you spend $60 to $120 or you're over $250. Perhaps you should buy a cheap one or estate to see if you like Meer. Otherwise, I'd say jump in, spend $275 plus and get something nice. The 3 Meers I smoke frequently all cost $275 to $325. And worth every penny, I enjoy smoking them. 2 I smoke every day.

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
The vast majority of meerschaum pipes have very shoddy stem work. The tend to use interior materials and the fit usually isn’t great. However, this isn’t the end of the world as many of those pipes still smoke great. I would say find one you like the looks of in your price range and take the plunge. There are $60 meers that will smoke like a dream and $300 ones that will smoke wet and hot and vice versa. The pipes that @hoosierpipeguy is referring to above are those special meers that have high quality stems, excellent fit, AND they’re good smokers. Those are the ones you end up turning shit brown over the years cause you don’t wanna put em down.

obc83

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 4, 2023
Thanks for all the good info guys. I have noticed those couple truths, or perhaps tendencies in the pipe market that have been mentioned here. A good pipe is a good pipe, regardless of cost, and that the range of "good" pipes tends to be 60 to 100 dollars or 200 and over. I started with Grabow's and see myself being mostly a Savinelli grade guy in the long term. What do you guys think about meershaum lined? I saw some lined olive wood Mr. Brogs that looked nice for the cost. That just made me come up with like 9 more questions...

I have also seen some African examples that called to me but I have read that material is much denser, which in my mind says 'less absorbent.' What say you?

Last edited:
Reactions: Servant King

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Thanks for all the good info guys. I have noticed those couple truths, or perhaps tendencies in the pipe market that have been mentioned here. A good pipe is a good pipe, regardless of cost, and that the range of "good" pipes tends to be 60 to 100 dollars or 200 and over. I started with Grabow's and see myself being mostly a Savinelli grade guy in the long term. What do you guys think about meershaum lined? I saw some lined olive wood Mr. Brogs that looked nice for the cost. That just made me come up with like 9 more questions...

I have also seen some African examples that called to me but I have read that material is much denser, which in my mind says 'less absorbent.' What say you?
You can always start with Rossis, the lower tier of Savis .. still great pipes just not that the cost.

Reactions: obc83

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
I like older meer lined pipes, but I like older pipes in general. I’ve got a couple dozen pipes less than a year into the obsession, and only two were new-a Pete Short Army (because it’ll probably be a while before I can find/afford a real early 1900’s K&P military pipe), and the aforementioned mini-meer.
My Meer-lined Kaywoodies smoke great.

obc83

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 4, 2023
I like older meer lined pipes, but I like older pipes in general. I’ve got a couple dozen pipes less than a year into the obsession, and only two were new-a Pete Short Army (because it’ll probably be a while before I can find/afford a real early 1900’s K&P military pipe), and the aforementioned mini-meer.
My Meer-lined Kaywoodies smoke great.
Thanks. I know its ultimately subjective, but do you notice any difference between the meer lined and a regular briar? Its likely I'll just end up with one eventually but it's always nice to hear other people's experiences.

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Thanks. I know its ultimately subjective, but do you notice any difference between the meer lined and a regular briar? Its likely I'll just end up with one eventually but it's always nice to hear other people's experiences.
In my opinion, briars seem to get a little funky towards the heel end of the bowl, and the meer lined “seem” to exhibit this less.
YMMV

Lucashly

Can't Leave
Jun 21, 2023
California
Am I allowed to recommend the best meers seller I have found. She sells on eBay under meerschaumpipes. Her prices vary up into the thousands but she has affordable pipes as well. Quality is bar none. I only buy from her. Kind of a boutique seller.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Have you ever had to return something to her?

That’s a big discriminator between good sellers and bad since eBay has become such a cesspit over the years.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
The meerschaum mines in Tanganyika closed some years ago.
So African meers are available only as estates. Some NOS (unsmoked New Old Stock} come up from time to time.

The African meerschaum is seldom the pure white of Turkish meerschaum and so the pipes are often pre-coloured.
It is also denser/heavier and does not colour as well. They DO colour - they just take a lot longer

I have a few and I like them as they seem more robust.
But this may be totally illusionary 🤔