PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Was on our way to furniture store today so i stopped an got tim hortons coffee(im addicted). well when i reached for pipe i realized i had no baccy in car. I was a whole half mile from home so i suggested to wife i should go accross street an grab pouch of baccy. Well that lovely Lass agreed lol. Anyway my choices were limited to borkum Riff, Green, Yellow Sail, or Amphora. I settled on Green Sail and i wish i could go back in time now. Packed bowl, lit extreemly well and absoultly no taste at all. Now i know why i gave up Sail 12 yrs ago. Are my taste buds burnt off or has anyone else experienced similiar?? I wonder what i can mix with it to give it some snap

dhintonca

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I regret to say I had the same reaction. In my case, however, it didn't pack well, didn't light well, and tasted very....aromatic (not in a good way!). It was so wet when I opened it I had to leave it open for a full day -- but I don't think it got any mold. It just isn't the old Green sail I used to like! And at $30 for 50g, I'm not happy!!

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I just got my first pouch of green Sail recently - I have smoked both the yellow and the ivory, although it's been many years since I smoked the ivory.

I am enjoying the green. The flavors are very subtle - I can tell there's latakia there, but there's not a lot - and the anise is not powerful, either, but I can taste it. I've only smoked it in a fairly new cob, may or may not be a factor.

I'm not sure how often I'll buy another pouch, but it's certainly enjoyable. Not a blend for someone who wants a full taste. (It was Sail, long ago, that opened my eyes to the fact that tobacco could be something other than heavily cased.) :puffy:

ruffinogold

Lurker
Jul 4, 2012
The yellow is very good and makes my mouth water .. the Green I enjoy during summer . It's flavor is unique and the " few latakia leaves ' it's said to have is just that ... few . I like it . The Beige I've never tried

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
It amazes me that SAIL has been around so long but I don't like it either but somebody must they sell a pile of it. I recently bought a pouch of brown (original) Amphora and its a good ol boy burley but I don't think you can buy Amphora in USA anymore for reasons I don't know but here in Canada its everywhere.

nbpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2011
I finished off a pouch of Green about a month or so ago. Wasn't too impressed by it. I could never really figure out what was aromatic about it, except that it tasted slightly different than Yellow. Yellow was pretty good and will be getting more of that in the future.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I actually liked it, it was like Unique by Fader's (rumored to be Lane's 1-Q) except a little better.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I smoked them all in the late '70's and I didn't think much of them then. I seriously doubt that I'll try them again. There are just too many way better blends to explore.

Status
Not open for further replies.