PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dburrows

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2011
Looking for any Virginia blend recommendations. Here's the back story which might help in what you suggest:
Having recently acquired a few more pipes thanks to a generous co-worker who had quite a few pipes from his father that he wanted to refurb for display (he doesn't smoke), I've started genre dedication on two - one for English blends and another for Virginia blends.
I've only been smoking this year and I fell in love with English blends about the first time I tried one. So far, most of my tobacco would fall in this category.
The only blend that would fall under the Virginia label that I have (I'm pretty sure) is Pease's Cairo. I've also had a burley from the local B&M but I wasn't a fan of that at all.
I've spent the last few days only smoking Cairo so that I can become more familiar with this type of blend. I like it, but I don't love it and really can't wait to smoke some Vintage Syrian later.
What I like about Cairo: The tin-note is incredible - can't describe it. It seems like a bit of a citrus and some type of liquor comes through. I could hang out with that aroma all day.
The room-note is also great with Cairo. It's much lighter and sweeter than what I'm used to with English blends.
What I like about the flavor is the hidden cocoa and spice along with a mild nutty taste that seem to come in and out.
What I don't like: The first 1/4th of the bowl or so has a lot of bite. I tend to sip this one a lot more. Once I'm past that though the smoke becomes much smoother. The flavor (apart from what I like above) reminds me a bit more of the cigarette taste I remember from yesteryear. I don't find that enjoyable when it becomes pronounced from time to time while smoking the bowl.
I realize this is lengthy but hope it proves helpful. I don't want to write off these blends and I love the pipe I decided to dedicate to them. Thanks for your time and suggestions!

Jul 12, 2011
Dunhill Flake, Solani Silver Flake, (SG's Bracken, Kendal Cream & FVF) Stonehaven, Marlin Flake, (MC's Blackwoods, St James) just to name a few greats

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
McCranies ribbon or flake is brilliant. In the vein of Cairo you might want to try Peterson Irish Oak and C&D Sunday Picnic; for a nice complement of the flavors you seem to enjoy from that you may enjoy C&D Manhattan Afternoon as well.

mlaug

Part of the Furniture Now
May 23, 2010
Iowa
McClelland's Matured series of straight Va tobaccos are outstanding.

My favorites are No. 22,No. 24, and No.27.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
All of the above are very good suggestions -- most of which I've tried and enjoyed immensely.

For a quintessential Virginia smoke, you can't do better than Mac Baren's Virginia #1.

VIRGINIA_NO1_tin_screen.jpg

damien83

Might Stick Around
Aug 2, 2011
I would have to say try out some Vauen Virginia Flake No 14 very good stuff and should be right up your ally. Another one I would suggest is Formers Bird's Eye Flake, great VA. flake for anyone. Now if you want a sweeter VA. flake I would say go with Peter Stokkebye Luxury Twist Flake.

Status
Not open for further replies.