PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 1, 2012
After reading the posts and its comments I'm so glad this has nothing to do with collecting memorabilia from Grandpa's Bris.
8O I was thinking more along the lines of "As the leper said to the prostitute..."

masterpython

Might Stick Around
Sep 18, 2013
I think this explains all the estate pipes on ebay with a wad of old tobacco in them. It must of been a pretty common practice.

dd50

Might Stick Around
Nov 21, 2013
My dad would do this and it didn't seem right when I was 4, and it doesn't seem right to me now, haha. It worked for him and making sure my pipe is free of tobacco after each smoke works for me.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
@Natibo:
"...I'm so glad this has nothing to do with collecting memorabilia from Grandpa's Bris."
YACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Best laugh I've had all day. Choked, snorted my bourbon, cried, etc.
Fnord

captainian

Might Stick Around
Dec 21, 2013
"I do recall my grandfather using his Barlow pocket

knife to both pack his pipe down using the knife closed, and using the small blade to scrape it

out now and again."

My grandpa did this too with a knife-like pipe-tool, he used to scrape it like a mad man to the point chunks of black wood would come off... My uncle said it was the saddest thing a pipe smoker could witness, though now he does not do it anymore ti the point of wood coming off... Some of his old pipes are really a sad thing to look at. Weird thing is all of his ol' broken estates he gave me smoked as good as the ones i have and care for daily...

:crazy:

seagullplayer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 30, 2014
Indiana
I have a few Barlow style knifes in my small knife collection in honor of my grandfather.

But I find them bulky to carry, and they don't fit in my pipe well.
I have a stock man style that fits my Lark just about perfect.

I don't know why a man would carry anything else. 8)

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I would assume most estate pipes have tobacco in them since the prior owner sat the pipe down and then popped his clogs and the inheritors of the state just wanted to flog everything off quick for the cash! I don't leave tobacco in pipes other than when I put it down and then relight it twenty minutes later but overnight it would ruin a meerschaum and heaven knows what it would do to a briar. Strangely my late Father who was also a pipe smoker always told me never to leave dottles or pipe residue in a pipe over night and to always run a pipe cleaner through it at the end of the day.

lurch76

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 2, 2013
I don't think some of the old timers even scraped the bowl out. I have had several estates where the cake was so think you couldn't fit a pencil into it. Those gave the Senior Reamer a good workout.

Status
Not open for further replies.