PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I was asking sable today for a Bruno alternative - his answer - nothing :D
I stuck to only grabbing the RR as the sauce is a bit more present. And when GH DSF was in stock I grabbed some of that too. Not the same, but enough scent to keep me happy. Want to try and get some bosun plug sometime as I’m limited to plugs/ropes these days. hopefully one day soon that rumoured 500g bulk box of Bruno will hit the market

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Wow, just wow! A great story and a cool looking meer!

Gotta love a pipe with its own story and a bit of provenance.

Any markings on it?
Judging by the “seam” and the stamp it is made by pressed powdered meerschaum in a mould. Given that my great grandfather continued to smoke once he was in New Zealand (my dad who is not a smoker remembers as a boy being allowed to play with his leather pouch to help rub out the st Bruno flakes), I wonder if the reason the pipe has remained unsmoked is because it was a gift from my great great grandfather, or was a tourist style piece that was destined to be a shelf queen…or he thought meers were for whimps, as he was a mechanic

733A8811-936F-4A68-B3B2-C079264DB60B.jpeg969BD3E1-A31E-455D-B112-D7B2EE46BF10.jpeg

charf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 10, 2018
New Zealand
I wouldn’t care what it’s sentimental value or $ value. A pipe was made to be smoked. How lonely and neglected it would feel if it was not. Smoke that thistle!

Reactions: Ahi Ka
C

Corcoran-Rooney

Fantastic story. Thanks for sharing, and hope you enjoy the pipe if you smoke it.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
That is too cool. I wish I had my grandfathers pipes. I sat at his feet all the time while he smoked his pipes.
I have one of my step-grandfather's pipes (the only grandfather I knew.) It's an old Yello Bole Spartan briar I was given after he passed in 1979. A few years ago I was lucky to find a 14 oz. can of George Washington that was still sealed. It was the only pipe tobacco he smoked until they stopped making it.

I will occasionally load his pipe with George Washington and smoke it in his memory.

I could see Ahi Ka doing the same thing if he knows what blend his GGGf smoked.