PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Today I received a surprise belated birthday present from my grandma. An unsmoked meerschaum pipe that came with my great grandad’s family from Scotland when they migrated down under in the 30s. She included a nice letter that told me the history about the other pipe smokers in my heritage, a photo of her pop (a Kendal man through and through), and a piece of brass that was used as a pipe rest. My favourite anecdote included in the letter was a story told by my late grandad, who as a young boy (early 1920s) would wander the streets of Glasgow holding hands with his grandfather while he smoked a small meerschaum pipe similar to the one I have been entrusted with. I thought some of you guys would get a kick out of this.

Chur chur

858DC342-511D-41EF-AF39-FBE59C0DC557.jpeg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
What a fine legacy pipe; smoke it with pleasure and good memories. My father's dad had a round ten pipe rack with an amber tobacco jar in the center that I remember being beside his chair in the the family living room; they actually had a formal parlor besides. My father, being the pipe-smoking son, inherited it from his dad. Eventually my sister rescued it from an upper kitchen cabinet wrapped in newspaper after my dad had died and sent it, carefully packed. Like you, I am pleased to have this personal family heirloom.