PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

LOREN

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2019
Illinois -> Florida
This was brought up kind of like a side bar in another thread, and it made me curious. My grandfather only had Prince Albert pipe tobacco, and King Edward cigars. I don't know when he started but he smoked until he passed in his early 80's. I believe he only had two pipes, the "pot" shape for both. His only pipe tool was his finger, the only tobacco I ever saw him take out of his pipe was what he could loosen with his finger and then hit his pipe on the heel of his hand. He always had the large tin of Prince Albert by his chair, but he also had many of the tins that could fit in your shirt pocket. He used the small tins when he was outside in the yard and he could hold his pipe and tin and load his pipe with one hand. His Zippo was always set for a really large flame. He always had the King Edward cigars with him whenever he left his home, for an errand or something. In the early 70's I remember I wanted to buy him cigars for his birthday ( I couldn't have been more than 12 or 13) and my mother gave me the money and I walked to the store and purchased them by myself. I don't recall what type of store it was. Not too long after that I got a hold of a pipe and Palladin's black cherry, boy did i ever scorch my mouth!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
King Edward Cigars! Do they still make those? My dad was an all-day pipe smoker, but he took a few years off and smoked only King Edward Cigars. He smoked all the time but he never spent much. With pipes it was always Granger, cigars King Edward. They smelled pretty good. All of my surreptitious smoking as a child were cigarettes purloined by my next-door friend in nearly empty cartons his dad had almost finished. They made me sick enough, I never did smoke cigarettes. Dad could smoke walking to the train, riding the smoking car on the train (Chicago and Northwestern at the time), and in the office at work.

Reactions: Irish-piper68
It is amazing what the old timers smoked. I would have been out of luck because I can't stand burley.

My dad, to this day (he is 92), refers to Burley as the only tobacco fit for smoking!

"It has to be cube cut with no flavoring or additives!" says he.

Of course, at his age, a pipe every 3 or 4 months is all he ever allows himself... puffy It has been a BITCH finding him a blend that is "Suitable" for that rare smoke too! :)

Irish-piper68

Lurker
Jul 19, 2020
The Woodlands, Texas
My Dad smoked unfiltered Camels his entire life. I too remember walking or biking to the corner store to buy cigarettes for my Mom and Dad without ever being questioned about the purchase; those were just different times I guess, now you can’t even watch a movie without a warning that scenes depict smoking.

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
My grandfather also smoked a pipe. According to my father, he would smoke while driving up to the cabin in the Northern part of Michigan while my dad sat on his lap. Not sure of when he quit, but it was before I was born. I never got to really know my grandfather as he had a stroke in the early 1990's that limited his speech quite severely to a few stutters and 4 or 5 word sentences at best with a ton of effort. It would have been nice to know what he smoked or where his pipes were. No one else in my family smoked pipes or anything.