PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
She’s leaving for Madrid this morning for 6 months on LSU EXCHANGE PROGRAM, here’s what I told her. We are so happy for you, it’s a honor to represent America, I know that’s Old 💩, but being proud of your country is not. Remember Americans saved Europe from Naziasm, some Europeans are grateful some are not, they need to visit Normandy cemetery. If you get a chance visit Normandy. B and I are proud of you.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
She’s leaving for Madrid this morning for 6 months on LSU EXCHANGE PROGRAM, here’s what I told her. We are so happy for you, it’s a honor to represent America, I know that’s Old 💩, but being proud of your country is not. Remember Americans saved Europe from Naziasm, some Europeans are grateful some are not, they need to visit Normandy cemetery. If you get a chance visit Normandy. B and I are proud of you.
Best wishes for your granddaughter. What a great and adventure for her.

Alejo R.

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Pipe tobacco is much cheaper than in America. , Ask she to get some to you there

Reactions: Briar Tuck

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I am happy for her. And no matter where you're from it's good to remember you're going to be a part of what people think about the country you're from. One thing lots of people have told me is when you spend a few years abroad you'll often be shocked by the things you end up missing. But seeing more of the world seems to be a very enriching experience. Shows you lives bigger then what you're used to.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I'm sure she will have to a great time. Nothing wrong with being proud of being an American as long as you let others be proud of their country. If she goes to any of the American cemeteries tell her to be sure to take a handkerchief. Maybe a few back up ones will be needed.

gubbyduffer

Can't Leave
May 25, 2021
Peebles, Scottish Borders
I take massive issue with this. I seriously hope you are not suggesting Europeans should visit a Normandy cemetery to gain a sense of gratitude towards an American saviour. Firstly, I am sure Russia would take umbrage this. Slaughter on an epic scale on the Eastern front was pivotal in deciding the outcome of the war. Also my own grandfather fought for the Scots Guards, and was captured fighting against Romell in Africa. He spent years in, by his account, a lice ridden POW camp in Poland whilst my gran was back in Scotland praying daily for his safe return. I dont know if you are aware, but in Scotland and across the UK for example, pretty much every town and village has a war memorial which generally has the names of every fallen soldier from WWI and WWII from that town. Often entire families are listed. Every year, events commemorate all those that served through sombre reflection at these memorials on 11th November (same as your Veterans Day) or the nearest Sunday, called Remembrance Sunday. We all have a 2 minute silence at 11am. I imagine you may as well. I think of my grandad. Hundreds of millions of people from across the globe at some point may commemorate relatives that fought and died, whether French, Russian, British, Indian, Canadian, Australian American, and plenty of other countries. I am thankful for America's belated entry to the war following Pearl Harbour a full 18 months after British and European troops were fighting and dying on beaches in Dunkirk. Americas entry was hugely influential, but we have millions dead in Europe, and with the war being fought here, scars are hard to heal, and the fallout still often visible. I am thankful to all those that fought the Nazi's in WWII, but America is not the sole saviour and being only human I reserve the greatest degree of thought and gratitude to those local to me and those personally close to my heart.