PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Selling off all our shit was a nightmare. So stressful and time consuming. One of the things we have vowed upon arriving here is to NOT have so much stuff.

One particular highlight was a guy pulling my son's never-used spey rod out of its case, not being able to get it in the case after jamming it two or three times really hard, then dropping in on the floor and starting to walk away. I asked him if he fly fished. He said no. I asked him just why the fuck he was determined to break a $500 rod when he was too stupid to put it back in the case. He then loudly said he needed to leave because I was rude. Lucky I didn't beat his ass.

So once our stuff was sold, the remnants had to be packed into the 26 foot Fed Ex truck, a 20 foot box trailer and a 16 foot box trailer. That was hard and took several days. Dads keeper stuff and a bunch of our were located in 6 10 x 10 storage units on the 2 floor of a storage place. I used to work for North American van lines in college, but that was 30 years ago. It was HARD to pack those things. lol

I think it should be noted that we had a lot of stuff, weight-wise.

The morning we were to leave for Tennessee, dad got new tires on his 16 foot trailer. He was pulling it with his 95 ram 2500 diesel with 100,000 miles on it. Just broke in, really.

We made it an hour out, and dad was fish tailing a bit. Then one of the wheels fell off. The tire place came out an hour and replaced the whole wheel. what we didn't know was that it damaged the brakes on that axle. We made it to Pendleton, OR, which was the first big hill on our road east. I was behind dad and I hit my jake brake and started to coast. Dad was about 2/3 of the way down when he started to fishtail. I cannot really describe the horror of watching your 76 year old dad do 8 complete fishtales before rolling his truck and trailer on I 84. I still see it sometimes at night, months later.

20210511_182536.jpg

20210511_181820.jpg

I called 911 and ran up to the truck. He was totally fine. Near unscathed. He had a bit of road rash on his left shoulder and was really pissed because the stuff in his cab (we were packed to the gills, every nook and cranny full of stuff) was on him and he couldn't get out. I broke out the windhshield out and let me tell you, it is harder than it looks. The whole time, he kept saying GET MY BAGS. GET MY BAGS! We looked around and finally found one, with his meds. the other one had 2 handguns and $10,000 and we found that one too. lol. He was happy then and went off with the paramedics to get checked out.

We had to spend 45 minutes looking up and down the side of the highway and in the wreckage because we found a mag for a 3rd pistol and couldn't be sure if it was around. THose are 2/3 of my cigars there on the freeway of the second pic. In that trailer may or may not be an inverted gun safe with notional firearms. Many notional firearms.

We had a family friend drive down from Spokane and My brother (driving the Fed Ex truck) had his wife drive out to help. The Oregon State Police were fire. They alledgedly brought out their pickup and helped us recover the 25,000 rounds or so of ammo all over the place and as long as we got it out of the impound yard by midnight, they wouldnt have to write it up.

It was too late for a uhaul, so we had to load it up in our friend from Spokane's truck and my sister inlaw's 4 runner. the wreck and the trailer were hauled off to a tow yard.

Our buddy Jason was driving dad's minivan, so Dad (who really was fine) drove it, and J drove a uhaul we got the next morning. We had to spend that day recovering what we could out of the truck and trailer and then we took off the next morning for TN.

20210512_164028.jpg

Not that there were any firearms, but if there were, one had a small scratch on the lower receiver and the rest were perfect. They may have been individually wrapped in towels to sofen their ride.

Miracle #2 on this came with my Chippendale Buffet. It had been loaded in that trailer topdown on two layers of boxes. I was really sad about that, as it matched our hutch and dining room set. We opened the side door and it had a few scratches but was otherwise in great shape. With the whips of the fishtailing and the rollover, that was a miracle.

We did lose the safe, my dads commercial upright freezer, my grandfather's complete craftsman tool chest (got the tools tho), most of my cigars, and my tonneau cover for my truck. The truck was a total loss. no one we knew could get it out to fix it back up (it is a great truck with only 100k on it) and it was too much work for us to deal with.

I will leave off here. More to come.