PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
It’s not something I usually pay particular attention to in terms of value but it occurs to me that the difference between the 2 in the standard sizes they are sold, is not negligible. While some tins/pouches are sold in other nominal sizes such as 40g, 1.5 oz, etc, the vast majority are sold in 2oz or 50g units which we mostly treat as equivalent. You might pay the same for a 2oz tin as a 50g tin which at 1.75oz contains about 12.5% less. 50g tins contain 2-3 less bowls worth and while 8-2oz tins equal 1 pound, it takes 9-50g tins to get to the same point. The other side of the equation is that sometimes 250g and 500g units are better values than their 8oz (225g) and 16oz (450g) counterparts.

I realize it’s not earth shattering news and it’s probably not going to change my purchasing habits but it is nice to keep in mind when thinking about spending and value.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The metric versus the (what is it called?) other system more commonly used in the U.S. causes considerable confusion in temperatures, mileages/kilometers, measures in cooking, and every other area of life, alas. If the U.S. economy hadn't taken off with such suddenness, the metric system might have crept in and taken over along the way. But by the time the systems became confusing, the U.S. was a leading world economy and sticking to its ways. I always trip over it when I read the weights of tobacco pipes. The ounce measurements I immediately recognize, the grams I have to stop and think. I'm sure pipe tobacco sellers take full advantage of the confusion, but I doubt it nets them huge profits. I have resorted to the primitive reckoning, how big does the can look? I think maybe we get done out of a bowl or bowl and a half each "regular" size tin.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My wife has noticed pricing on some online merchandise charges more for two (or multiple) items than ordering them singly. It's another odd tactic to make money on the hurried or distracted customer.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
It’s not something I usually pay particular attention to in terms of value but it occurs to me that the difference between the 2 in the standard sizes they are sold, is not negligible. While some tins/pouches are sold in other nominal sizes such as 40g, 1.5 oz, etc, the vast majority are sold in 2oz or 50g units which we mostly treat as equivalent. You might pay the same for a 2oz tin as a 50g tin which at 1.75oz contains about 12.5% less. 50g tins contain 2-3 less bowls worth and while 8-2oz tins equal 1 pound, it takes 9-50g tins to get to the same point. The other side of the equation is that sometimes 250g and 500g units are better values than their 8oz (225g) and 16oz (450g) counterparts.

I realize it’s not earth shattering news and it’s probably not going to change my purchasing habits but it is nice to keep in mind when thinking about spending and value.
The difference between 2 oz and 50 g is not insignificant. However, it's not as if you can buy the same blend in either weights for the same price. It's just that some blends are sold in one measure and others in another, at different prices. As a result, some blends end up more expensive that others, but that's always going to be true regardless of whether they are sold in lbs/ozs or kg/g.
Just remember, it's grams for yayo and ounces for wee...wait, wrong forum.
It's interesting that liquor and weed are the 2 consumer items in the US that are sold in metric measures.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
As long as nobody messes with the grain measurement in my ammunition I can cope with the alcohol and tobacco. I know exactly what grain per cartridge recipe I like and I’m too damn old to relearn it all. A man’s got to know his limitations. (Dirty Harry wouldn’t lie to us.)
bad news. That's the one area we've decided has to change measures. No reason just felt like a good time to needlessly complicate something. Sorry about that.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
The difference between 2 oz and 50 g is not insignificant. However, it's not as if you can buy the same blend in either weights for the same price. It's just that some blends are sold in one measure and others in another, at different prices. As a result, some blends end up more expensive that others, but that's always going to be true regardless of whether they are sold in lbs/ozs or kg/g.

It's interesting that liquor and weed are the 2 consumer items in the US that are sold in metric measures.
Gawith and Hoggarth is sold by gram in tin format, oz in bulk format and bulk box in gram format. So if you are comparing different formats of the same blends, you need to do the calculations if you want to know what you are saving. Especially if there's a sale only on tins for example.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
However, it's not as if you can buy the same blend in either weights for the same price.
I realize that but is good to pay attention when comparing cost of blends you’re buying. Plus the fact that a few blends are sold tinned in g. and in bulk in oz., just to confuse the calculations. MacBaren tins are sold in g. and the large packages are in lbs and the bulk typically in oz. Some brands have tins of one vintage in oz. and another in g. Again, not that you can choose, but it’s good to know.

Plus, as @hoosierpipeguy said, it’s really when you’re talking about volume that it makes a big difference.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Gawith and Hoggarth is sold by gram in tin format, oz in bulk format and bulk box in gram format. So if you are comparing different formats of the same blends, you need to do the calculations if you want to know what you are saving. Especially if there's a sale only on tins for example.
Oh yeah, US merchants sell bulk by the oz when they break the bags up.
I'm confused buy the alcohol percentages in american booze. Sometimes the number seems doubled for no apparent reason.
100% alcohol = 200 "proof" by US measurement. So, whiskey, rum, cognac, vodka, etc., which are typically 20% alcohol are 40 proof.

Status
Not open for further replies.