PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Wow. Stunning, & I'm not even normally much of a fan of shapes like that. Congrats to you on the MDiv too! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Bill

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Congratulations on achieving both an advanced degree in a different field, making a major move, and attaining a job in your new profession/calling. Hospital chaplain is a life expanding assignment. You'll deal with a vast (may not be too grand a word) variety of people and religious beliefs and non-beliefs. As ministers of my acquaintance say, pay attention to your self-care. It's a whole new day.

sittingbear

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2015
Olympia, WA
Thank you everyone! It's been a hell of an adventure.
enjoy the Pacific Northwest, it’s beautiful country out there! Portland still has some damn good tobaccos shops, Rich’s downtown being my favorite but the one on 82nd St. is no slouch either, don’t let the head shop vibe fool ya, they have a very respectable selection of pipes and tobaccos.
Yes, I'm very excited about moving to Portland. I've been there with my wife numerous times, and I love Rich's downtown! I always insist on going there and to Powell's bookstore whenever we go. She knows to just drop me off somewhere downtown and leave me there for the day. ;)
The Franciscan view of the natural world as something good and joyous is something I can get behind.
Yes, the Franciscans have a completely different way of looking at everything. The Franciscan tradition is sometimes called an "alternative" orthodoxy because it's so different from the dominant theology of Christianity. The emphasis on the goodness of Creation and the natural world is only the tip of the iceberg.
Hospital chaplain is a life expanding assignment. You'll deal with a vast (may not be too grand a word) variety of people and religious beliefs and non-beliefs. As ministers of my acquaintance say, pay attention to your self-care. It's a whole new day.
I agree, self-care will be the challenge. Last summer I was a chaplain intern at St. Joseph's Hospital in Orange, CA. Coming from the private/government sector, I have always tried to maximize my production. Chaplaincy is a totally different animal. I was pushing it too hard, trying to see as many people as possible, and by the end of the summer I was already beginning to feel burnout. Learning to step back and recharge my batteries will probably be my biggest challenge.

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
Man, I’m with you all the way, did hard labor most of my life and my body just ain’t taking it like it used to. I went back to school and graduated last year and now I’m working my way into the tech industry as a full stack developer. It’s been a rough ride and I’ve sacrificed a lot but it’s starting to pay off, it’s nice having a desk job after all these years.
Not to derail the thread, but I will congratulate you too for a similar accomplishment. You may buy yourself a nice pipe, as that seems to be the appropriate award.
I am about to go back to school myself. I'll stay in my industry, but I'm going to learn how to program and operate the robot that was probably going to replace me one day anyway.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
I've always admired the Franciscans and their perspective ... congratulations on your achievement and best wishes to you on your new mission. Beautiful pipe, too, by the way ... :clap:

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
Congrats on the pipe and the degree. I am well past mid-life but, I remember that “crisis” period and going back to finish my degree. I have much respect for people, that take life risks that, are not simply done for monetary reasons. Good luck with the new path!

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I love stories like this. Someone who has the courage to call it quits, move to another state and basically start fresh. Congratulations on the degree, the move and new career. Best of luck.
Oh yeah...enjoy that new pipe!

sittingbear

Jul 20, 2015
Olympia, WA
I am about to go back to school myself. I'll stay in my industry, but I'm going to learn how to program and operate the robot that was probably going to replace me one day anyway.
Good luck, chillucky!

celticbrewer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2018
Warmest congrats! I work with chaplains in the ICU fairly frequently - the impact you will make on so many peoples' lives will be profound - also awesome pipe :)

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Oh Powell’s Bookstore is amazing! I helped open up a restaurant right down the street from there so I spent a lot of time there. I found one of Alfred Dunhill’s rare books for a good price. For those that have never been to Powell’s, this bookstore takes up a whole downtown block and it’s two stories! If that’s not enough they have another store across the street. It’s silly ridiculous but so awesome.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Not to derail the thread, but I will congratulate you too for a similar accomplishment. You may buy yourself a nice pipe, as that seems to be the appropriate award.

Haha, thank you, sir! And good on you for taking that first step at changing your life for the better, it can be scary but it can be done and it’s never to late!

kylef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2018
Cape Ann, MA USA
Congratulations, sittingbear--that's a very cool life move. At age 51 and being at the same place since age 23, I can certainly identify with the desire to shake things up.
I don't know a great deal about the Franciscans, but I do enjoy Christian apologetics. Have you read Chesterton's biography of St. Francis? Great stuff.

sittingbear

Jul 20, 2015
Olympia, WA
I don't know a great deal about the Franciscans, but I do enjoy Christian apologetics. Have you read Chesterton's biography of St. Francis? Great stuff.
Years ago. I love Chesterton, he's classic! I may be due for a re-read...

kylef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2018
Cape Ann, MA USA
Yep, Chesterton, Lewis and Tolkien opened my eyes to Christianity.
And as far as the latter two, to pipe smoking as well!

jmsmitty6

Can't Leave
Jan 12, 2018
Cincinnati, Ohio
Congratulations on finishing your degree and your career change. I underwent a career change myself several years ago and it was the best decision I ever made. I became a nurse and I can tell you from first hand experience that (even though I am agnostic) chaplains in hospitals do amazing work. I'm sure you will bring light into a very dark world for many patients, family members and the people that work at the hospital. Congratulations on the pipe as well

Status
Not open for further replies.