PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
@ bigpond....."epic wood"...
@ jpmcwjr....."that was her comment as well" ....Funny comment! Hearing that's way better than ....."get a load of that short nose-warmer".... ; )))))
Frank

Mar 30, 2014
wv
@ Jim

It's a patent era Ajustomatic. I estimate 1960's from the shape number stamping.

It was bit rough to start but no major issues.

The grain was just a nice surprise. You couldn't see the grain in the sellers pics but when I got it, I could see the birds hiding under the dark brown.

And no fills. The older Starfire models were made with higher grade briar.

I messed around with it over the span of a week or so but maybe have about 3 hours of actual work in it. I like doing everything by hand. My refurbs only see a couple short minutes on the buffer for the final shine.
@balkan

Some light it on fire to "set" the stain but I just wipe it on with a cotton ball then wipe it dry with a rag. I let them dry for 24 hours to set the stain. Go light with stain around the stampings. After the rest of the briar is sanded it will blend together.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
"The grain was just a nice surprise." Wow, I'll say. Fortune favors the bold.

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
Wow, dave g, you have skills! The only thing that'd turn me off that pipe is if it had a Lakeland ghost --- but I am sure you did a retort/salt treatment :)

Status
Not open for further replies.