PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar’s Echo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 15, 2022
Lancaster County PA
So I need some advice. No matter how slow or how well I pack my pipes I always seem to get the gurgling sound after about 20 mins. The only time I don’t seem to get this is when I am smoking my medico ventilator pipe with a filter. Advice?

Reactions: UncleRasta

jeff540

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
Bent pipes seem to do this worse than straight, and it also depends on airflow turbulence (i.e., nooks and crannies) in the passage from bottom of bowl through the mouthpiece. The smoother that passage for smoke, the less moisture will develop. Thus, some pipes just produce more moisture no matter how dry the tobacco or slow you smoke, as water is a product of the combustion process.

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
Save for extreme examples, in my experience tobacco moisture isn’t as big of a factor as packing your pipe loosely enough. Try packing looser than you have been and see if that helps. A little gurgle can also be remedied with one pipe cleaner mid-smoke and it’s not something I’d obsess over. Some pipes are more prone to gurgle than others.

Briar’s Echo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 15, 2022
Lancaster County PA
So I need some advice. No matter how slow or how well I pack my pipes I always seem to get the gurgling sound after about 20 mins. The only time I don’t seem to get this is when I am smoking my medico ventilator pipe with a filter. Advice?
I should also add the tobacco isn’t too moist. It doesn’t clump when I pinch it and I don’t think I’m packing my pipe to tight as the draw is easy but not too easy.

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
If nothing works maybe it's not tobacco. I often produce a lot of moisture just exhaling, it enters the stem and after some time there's enough to make non-filtered pipes gurgle if I don't prevent it with a pipe cleaner. Some call us "wet smokers". 🤭

K.E. Powell

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
Someone already mentioned this, but gurgle isn't always an indicator you are doing something wrong (or even the quality of your pipe). With pipes with extreme bents especially, it is hardly uncommon. Just run a pipe cleaner through. If that solves it, then the gurgle is likely just minor moisture buildup and isn't indicative of your cadence or how you pack your pipe. If running a pipe cleaner doesn't solve the issue, or you have to do this several times per smoke, then yea, there may be something wrong with your pipe, tobacco, or you (or combination of any of the three).

But 9/10 just keeping a pipe cleaner handy will solve this and you can go on smoking without much issue. Even with pipes that don't gurgle, I make it a point to run a pipe cleaner through every now and then to promote a dry, clean smoke.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I should also add the tobacco isn’t too moist. It doesn’t clump when I pinch it and I don’t think I’m packing my pipe to tight as the draw is easy but not too easy.
Not clumping isn't really dry. If it feels cool when you pinch it, it needs to be dried further. Draw resistance and packing, make it so there's no resistance. From that point, you can tamp to adjust the resistance.

Briar’s Echo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 15, 2022
Lancaster County PA
Bent pipes seem to do this worse than straight, and it also depends on airflow turbulence (i.e., nooks and crannies) in the passage from bottom of bowl through the mouthpiece. The smoother that passage for smoke, the less moisture will develop. Thus, some pipes just produce more moisture no matter how dry the tobacco or slow you smoke, as water is a product of the combustion process.
Appreciate it. I do have several bent ones and a couple straight. The medico I mentioned is a straight estate pipe I picked up. That is the only one ( I probably just jinxed myself) that doesn’t gurgle.

BigIrish1

Lurker
Jan 31, 2020
Has anyone noticed more gurgle with the humidity if smoking outside? I know if I go out after a rain or on a really humid day I tend to have more gurgle no matter how I dry my tobacco. I don’t really know if there is a correlation or if it’s all in my head.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
If nothing works maybe it's not tobacco. I often produce a lot of moisture just exhaling, it enters the stem and after some time there's enough to make non-filtered pipes gurgle if I don't prevent it with a pipe cleaner. Some call us "wet smokers". 🤭
Nothing wrong or unusual about being a ‘wet smoker’ Luigi. Lol
In Britain & Ireland where tobacco traditionally comes wetter than most, it’s fairly common. Perhaps why ‘system’ pipes & falcons are or were so popular. You can follow all the sage advice above, pull your hair out in frustration or simply pop a ‘birds nest’ in the bottom of the bowl.
A ‘wet smokers’ dream!
8B0E5D49-6F28-4DD9-A0EF-5B95D9724DB7.jpeg

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Has anyone noticed more gurgle with the humidity if smoking outside? I know if I go out after a rain or on a really humid day I tend to have more gurgle no matter how I dry my tobacco. I don’t really know if there is a correlation or if it’s all in my head.
Yes I tend not to smoke if it's very humid. Guaranteed gurgle for me. A lot of pipe disassembling and stem flinging!