PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crawley1066

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2014
United Kingdom
www.jpcleather.com
Very impressive, particularly for your third pipe. Keep up the excellent work.
Yes! Very impressive man! Very nice lines! Good stuff!
Thank you both! Really enjoying it.

One more block left for now and just trying to decide on a pattern rather than just going at it this time. puffy Cheers!

Crawley1066

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2014
United Kingdom
www.jpcleather.com
This is really amazing! Are you a woodworker by trade/training? You may have said, I see the woodworker's vice.
Sorry I missed your message, and thanks for the kind words! Really happy with it ?
I’m a hobbyist; I restored old tools for a few years and started using the ones I kept myself around two years ago. Lots of reading and practicing before I actually started any projects - the moxon vice was a deal I couldn’t refuse for my birthday treat last year. Very useful but a very literal pain in the side when you keep walking into it ? Thanks again puffy

Reactions: kurtbob

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
Beautiful lines, that looks really challenging. I’m a little intimidated to try something with such crisp flowing lines. Love the flow into the stem. Was it difficult to keep it so crisp?

Reactions: Crawley1066

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yes, not only does the shape flow into the shank, but it takes the dramatic grain with it. Commendable design indeed.

Reactions: Crawley1066

Crawley1066

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2014
United Kingdom
www.jpcleather.com
Beautiful lines, that looks really challenging. I’m a little intimidated to try something with such crisp flowing lines. Love the flow into the stem. Was it difficult to keep it so crisp?
Thanks! I’d definitely recommend giving it a go. I wasn’t really aiming for symmetry but that’s how it turned out.
Some and some to answer your question though - I found roughing out the shape I didn’t have to worry too much about keeping them overly clean. Once the rough shape was out I took some 320 grit sandpaper and went directly flat onto the curves (shock horror).
Once they’d all been sanded to the same ‘height’ if that’s the right word, I could then go round with the chisel again to bring them all to a point. Having the flat surfaces made it easy to see which lines were protruding too much etc.
Sanding was tricky, but a set of violin scrapers made it possible to then go straight to a higher 800-1000 grit without worrying about a lower grit ruining the curves.
Hope that’s a good explanation anyway

Reactions: Scottmi

Brew&Briar

(Urban Briar)
Jan 3, 2020
Los Angeles, CA
Well, another week, another pipe! At least 3/4 full day’s work in this. I’m quite proud of it!

Started out with a block billiard blank from Balandis pipes on eBay. Sometimes the holes have been a bit off with these blanks, but he’s quick to answer and replace any problems and this one was spot on. Highly recommend if you’re EU based - cant go wrong for the money.

Anyway, I wanted a Zulu shape. Something light and thin walled for when I’m out walking. I’ve got plenty of ‘chunkers’ for the garden.

Roughed out a billiard shape with a coarse rasp (measuring the walls with a compass and leaving a little extra on the sides for the shape I had in mind) and then got the gouges out.

Originally I wanted something like a whirlpool - all asymmetric. That didn’t really happen... I didn’t measure anything and the more I carved the more I thought it would be a fun challenge to go for symmetry.

Once the rough shape was carved, I put a heat gun on the stem and bent it to the ‘Zulu’ shape I wanted before I drew out the stem lines with a medium file. I wanted the stem to reflect the pipe and the lines to follow as smoothly as I could make them from chamber to tip.

Lots of scrapingsanding up to 400grit to refine the shape before black dye, contrast sanding, then all the way up to 2500.

I thinned English Bridle Fiebing’s dye and got that on there to make it pop out.

Polished with carnauba wax and here it is!
This looks really great. I like what you did with the twisted look. Reminds me of some of the old school french paneled pipes.

Lawyer66

Can't Leave
Nov 21, 2020
Grand Cayman
Well, another week, another pipe! At least 3/4 full day’s work in this. I’m quite proud of it!

Started out with a block billiard blank from Balandis pipes on eBay. Sometimes the holes have been a bit off with these blanks, but he’s quick to answer and replace any problems and this one was spot on. Highly recommend if you’re EU based - cant go wrong for the money.

Anyway, I wanted a Zulu shape. Something light and thin walled for when I’m out walking. I’ve got plenty of ‘chunkers’ for the garden.

Roughed out a billiard shape with a coarse rasp (measuring the walls with a compass and leaving a little extra on the sides for the shape I had in mind) and then got the gouges out.

Originally I wanted something like a whirlpool - all asymmetric. That didn’t really happen... I didn’t measure anything and the more I carved the more I thought it would be a fun challenge to go for symmetry.

Once the rough shape was carved, I put a heat gun on the stem and bent it to the ‘Zulu’ shape I wanted before I drew out the stem lines with a medium file. I wanted the stem to reflect the pipe and the lines to follow as smoothly as I could make them from chamber to tip.

Lots of scrapingsanding up to 400grit to refine the shape before black dye, contrast sanding, then all the way up to 2500.

I thinned English Bridle Fiebing’s dye and got that on there to make it pop out.

Polished with carnauba wax and here it is!

This is amazing. Are you planning on selling any?

Status
Not open for further replies.